how do you create labels, business cards and postcards?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Gigi

how do you create labels, business cards and postcards?

Post by Gigi »

Hi,

I am relatively new to Nisus Writer Pro. I have a mac and a pc. I have been relying on my pc for word processing but I really want to switch everything to my mac.

Anyway, I've been playing around with Nisus Writer Pro and can't seem a figure out a way to format labels (shipping, address, etc), postcards (I can set up 4 postcards per page in Word Perfect), and business cards. I'd prefer not to create them with tables but will do so if this is the only way. In Word Perfect I set up basically all of the things (labels, postcards and business cards) within the label function. I can set up the sheet or paper size and then the label size within the sheet. Is there any way to do that with Nisus Writer Pro?

thanks!
Gigi
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We don't have any prepared templates for this kind of thing, but they aren't hard to create yourself. Basically it all comes down to choosing the proper paper size. Here's how you might configure an address template:

1. Select the menu File > Page Setup.
2. From the "Paper Size" popup button choose your envelope size, eg: "#10 Envelope".
3. You'll probably want to change the paper orientation to landscape just below.
4. Click the "OK" button and your document should change as you specified.

From there just format the addresses using the normal formatting tools, eg: center align the recipient's address. You can save the file as a template if you'll be using it frequently.

As for postcards or other things that you'd like to print more than one of per sheet of paper, you'll configure that when you print. Here's how you might print 4 postcards on a single page:

1. Enter text and formatting for one postcard, which should fit on the first page of your document.
2. Copy the content. Insert a page break and past the content. Do this until you have 4 pages, one for each pasted postcard.
3. Select the menu File > Print.
4. From the third popup button down choose "Format".
5. Change the "Pages per Sheet" option to 4.

When you print you'll have all 4 pages/postcards on a single sheet of paper.

One tip: the first time you're working with these settings it may help to use the "Preview" button in the Print dialog. The preview takes into account all of these page layout options, so you can make sure you've got it right before you waste any paper.
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Wow, Thank you Martin! It worked, I'm thrilled!!

Gigi
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

May I counsel that you change your preference, Gigi, and use tables. Spend 10 minutes or so working through the tables section of the manual and trying a couple of experiments, then go for it.

The tables are really, really easy to use for this sort of stuff. The only thing you have to remember is that when you place the guides, they aren't nailed down, so you have to take care not to move them accidentally. Even if you do, though, you can undo it with command-z.

Set up the documents you want with the tables you want and the text you want or some space keeper text, print them to check for fit, then "save as" to the User/Documents/Nisus Documents setting the format to "Document Template" in the drop down menu at the foot of the "save as window.

Then you will be able to access these templates any time you like through the Document Manager (Menu bar | Window) or command-dm, or, in my case, just by clicking on the window because I have set NWP to open it at launch (preferences). Double click on them in the document manager and you'll get a ready formatted "untitled" document open up.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Thank you Geoff. I was trying tables before I posted to this forum. The fact that the guides could move, made me wonder if there was another way to do this. I do like the idea of the templates, so I might go back to trying the tables after I get this project finished. I won't be as crunched for time and can spend more time experimenting.

thanks again!
Gigi
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Yes, the moving guides are a problem. I've made a feature request that a means of locking the table guides be added.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com