Need a macro to insert html italics code

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
coffee em

Need a macro to insert html italics code

Post by coffee em »

I need a macro--or some other cool find-and-replace solution--for Nisus Writer Express that will enable me to change text formatted in italics to text marked with <i> and </i> for posting on the web.

Does anyone have such a thing already, or can tell me how to make it? (I have, I'm sorry to say, no experience with macros at all. Sigh.)
Hamid

HTML

Post by Hamid »

It is possible to save your file from within NWE as HTML. Or am I missing something?
coffee em

Post by coffee em »

Unfortunately, "save as html" formats everything, and introduces a lot of code I don't want in this file. I only want to provide html for text in italics. The thing is, it's a long document with lots of scattered italics, and finding and changing each incidence by hand is pretty tedious.

This seems like the sort of thing a macro is good for, in other words...
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Hello.

NWE can't search text with attributes. You need Pro for this. Anyway, here is a workaround.

Click on any italics text and select Select All from the character tag pop-up (the tiny letter "a" that appears in the statusbar).
Open the Find and Replace window.
Activate PowerFind Pro.
In Where, select In Selection.
In the Find What box, digit: .+
In the Replace with box, digit: <I>\0</I>
Click Replace All.

I only tried this on NWP, but think NWE is the same.

Cheers,
Henry.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Henry is right, attribute sensitive Find & Replace (and most macro features) are only available in Pro.

One correction to his list of steps: instead of typing "/0" you'll want to type "<i>/0</i>".
coffee em

Post by coffee em »

Thank you--that's a considerable help. At least this way I can find each occurrance of italicized text in order and enter the html by hand, rather than having to click the little attribute symbol, select all the italics, and scroll down to find the next word or phrase that needs doctoring.

Would I be able to actually find italicized text and add <i> and </i> to either end of it, via find and replace, in Nisus Writer Pro?

(By the way, thank you, all--I really appreciate that you're here and sharing these things.)
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

martin wrote:One correction to his list of steps: instead of typing "/0" you'll want to type "<i>/0</i>".
Oh, my! That was my writing, Martin. Only I forgot clicking Disable HTML in this post.

Henry.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

coffee em wrote:Would I be able to actually find italicized text and add <i> and </i> to either end of it, via find and replace, in Nisus Writer Pro?
Yes, here's the list of steps you would take:

1. Open the Find panel, set the "using" mode to "PowerFind Pro".
2. In "find what" type ".+" and apply italics to that text. Applying italics should automatically turn on the "attribute sensitive" checkbox just below.
3. In "replace with" type "<i>/0</i>"
4. Click the "Replace All" button.

This is more accurate than using the font tag (the little "a" icon) in Express, because the "select all" menu matches all font attributes (eg: size, face) of the selection, not just italics.
Groucho wrote:Oh, my! That was my writing, Martin. Only I forgot clicking Disable HTML in this post.
I made the same mistake when I first replied to your post :P
coffee em

Post by coffee em »

I have only one thing to say:

Where do I send the chocolate?

You guys rawk.
Hamid

Pockey

Post by Hamid »

coffee em wrote:Where do I send the chocolate?
...or rather Pockey:
http://www.nisus.com/blogs/?p=168
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

And don't forget oversized giant pocky!