"Couldn't contact Spell Checker"

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
propstuff

Post by propstuff »

The Library folder you need to use is in your home folder.
It just occured to me Charles, if the macros are in *one* user's folder, what happens with multiple users? Multiple macro folders?

(Doesn't apply in my case, but.... curiosity)

cheers,
N.
Nicholas
550MHz TiBk, 512Mb, OS 10.2.8 NWX 2.0
JBL

Post by JBL »

propstuff wrote:
The Library folder you need to use is in your home folder.
It just occured to me Charles, if the macros are in *one* user's folder, what happens with multiple users? Multiple macro folders?
I was wondering the same thing. It seems like macros in /Library should be available to all users and macros in ~/Library should be private to individual users. For a machine that is used by a single person, there really shouldn't be a distinction between /Library and ~/Library
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

This way to handle this is to create "/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer/", to put the Macros folder in there, and to put an alias from that Macros folder into "~/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer/". However, although that works, it shows up yet another bug in NWX: "Open Macro Folder" ought to resolve the alias and find the folder but (a) it cannot and (b) it throws up an inappropriate error message that it cannot make a macro folder.
charles

Post by charles »

JBL wrote:I was wondering the same thing. It seems like macros in /Library should be available to all users and macros in ~/Library should be private to individual users. For a machine that is used by a single person, there really shouldn't be a distinction between /Library and ~/Library
Well, I think you are right; it should work this way so you have the option to configure things they way you want. I will add it to our list of Things to Do. :-)

EDIT: To clarify: We really should look for Macrosin the ~/Library and /Library folders. Though you are technically not supposed to put anything in that /Library folder unless you are an administer for the machine. Now...if a user selects "Open Macro Folder", I'm not sure which one this should open...

-Charles
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

"Though you are technically not supposed to put anything in that /Library folder unless you are an administer for the machine. Now...if a user selects "Open Macro Folder", I'm not sure which one this should open..."

This should open whichever the user is using. If an alias is pointing to Macros in Timbucktoo, then NWX should follow the pointers to Timbucktoo. If the user is not permitted to write to that folder--well, he is the person who has chosen to point to the folder and thus adopt it with its permissions. If you wanted to be nice, you could test for privileges and throw up either a warning to an administrator or an explanatory error message to orthers (with a "Don't whow again" checkbox), but my priorities would see other features first. I want to be able to open old Nisus files correctly and to be able to find on formatting.
JBL

Post by JBL »

charles wrote:Now...if a user selects "Open Macro Folder", I'm not sure which one this should open...
Under what conditions is one expected to use the "Open Macro Folder" command? One really has to answer that question in the context of what task the user is attempting to perform, however, I am willing to give a suggestion in the absence of such knowledge: I would be tempted to turn this function into "Show Macro in Finder..." with a dialog box that lets you pick a specific macro. Sure it is an extra step, but I don't imagine most people use this all the time so it shouldn't be a large overhead. This solution also has the advantage that it generalizes if you, at some point, implement macro sets or some such function that results in macros being stored in other locations.
charles

Post by charles »

JBL wrote:Under what conditions is one expected to use the "Open Macro Folder" command? One really has to answer that question in the context of what task the user is attempting to perform, however, I am willing to give a suggestion in the absence of such knowledge: I would be tempted to turn this function into "Show Macro in Finder..." with a dialog box that lets you pick a specific macro.
This is an interesting idea. We could also allow the user to show a Macro in the Finder by holding down the option key or something like that.

Thinking generally about how a user would want to use this option. We added this option to help people find this folder quickly so they can add new Macros, delete, and open for editing existing macros. For the purpose of allowing the user to add new Macros (which is the first thing they want to do, usually), we need to just open some folder where they can drop them I think.

It is definitely an error for the Application not to follow any aliases or symbolic links you put at that location in its stead...

Actually, I just had a thought...maybe we could turn "Open Macros Folder" into a menu with a submenu that has two options: "For This User Only" and "For All Users on This Computer". My thought is that the Macro's menu should show all macros in both locations.

The idea of creating Macro Sets is an interesting one as well...how do you think users would use this feature? Could the same thing be accomplished by showing folders in the Macro folder as menus in the Macro menu?

-Charles
JBL

Post by JBL »

charles wrote:The idea of creating Macro Sets is an interesting one as well...how do you think users would use this feature?
I used to use Classic Nisus for both word processing and text editing (because it was easier to use something I was familiar with than to use a dedicated text editor). The macros for different types of tasks were quite distinct, and having all of them around just got in the way.
charles wrote:Could the same thing be accomplished by showing folders in the Macro folder as menus in the Macro menu?
That would be okay, but it takes a lot longer to navigate a sub-menu than to find something on a menu.

You know, it would be really nice to be able to customize other menus by adding macros to them. Then you could keep your seldom used macros hidden in some organized tree under the macro menu, but you could put your often used macros right where you want them. Even assign them shortcuts or a place on the tool bar.
JBL

Post by JBL »

charles wrote:Actually, I just had a thought...maybe we could turn "Open Macros Folder" into a menu with a submenu that has two options: "For This User Only" and "For All Users on This Computer". My thought is that the Macro's menu should show all macros in both locations.
Oops. Forgot to respond to this part.

I think that is a very good thought.
maurerc

Post by maurerc »

"Please note that this bug has been fixed in the shortly to be released Nisus Writer Express 1.1.1! "

This bug has not been fixed. Showed up the first time I opened 1.1.1, trying to read the new ReadMe file. I need to force the application to quit.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Couldn't contact Spelling Checker

Post by rmark »

Please take a look at what language is checked in the Languages submenu of the Format menu. Then compare that with the language that appears in the Language palette in the Tooldrawer. Let me know what they indicate. Also, let me know what font is selected.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
maurerc

Re: Couldn't contact Spelling Checker

Post by maurerc »

[quote="rmark"]Please take a look at what language is checked in the Languages submenu of the Format menu. Then compare that with the language that appears in the Language palette in the Tooldrawer. Let me know what they indicate. Also, let me know what font is selected.[/quote]

US English, US English. The font ought to be whatever font your document calls for but the menu is disabled--remember, this is an endless loop throwing up an error message--so I can't see anything selected.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Couldn't contact Spelling Checker

Post by rmark »

Maurerc.
maurerc wrote:
rmark wrote:Please take a look at what language is checked in the Languages submenu of the Format menu. Then compare that with the language that appears in the Language palette in the Tooldrawer. Let me know what they indicate. Also, let me know what font is selected.
US English, US English. The font ought to be whatever font your document calls for but the menu is disabled--remember, this is an endless loop throwing up an error message--so I can't see anything selected.

OK let's try the following:

1. Find the Console application in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.

Applications/Utilities/Console

2. Start the Console and clear the log by clicking the "whisk broom" or typing Command-K.

3. Start Nisus Writer Express and open the ReadMe file, etc..

4. Copy what appears in the Console window and email that to us (with a description of what did not work correctly) at <support@nisus.com>

We'll get back to you as soon as we have something meaningful to report.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.