whitespace

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
feat

whitespace

Post by feat »

There's a bug in Nisus Writer — or is it a feature — which prevents me from selecting contiguous whitespace characters in one felt swoop : if, for instance, I double-clicked a run of tabs or spaces to substitute a single tab, it would only select the character under the cursor.

Sure : all I've got to do is drag the cursor from the first whitespace to the last, but this is clunky and inconsistent with the behavior when double-clicking in the middle of a word.

And this isn't consistent with the way it behaves in other applications either.

Any workaround?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

No work around that I can think of, but I'd consider this a bug and will file it, thanks.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Find and Replace, feat? I have to clean up a lot of documents and format them, so I just use finding the special characters and replacing them with the required special character (singular!). Normally, I use "repolace all", but at other times, I do it one at a time.

It would be a nice touch if Find and Replace could offer a more limited alternative -- to Fine and Replace All within a selection.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Find and replace can be a great way to clean up whitespace in a document, but it won't solve the double-click problem. Also Geoff, Find and Replace does offer an "in selection" option which you can use with Replace All. Just look at the popup button labeled "where".
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Well, Martin, you got me there. I couldn't even see it when I was looking. You guys might be the world champions at non-intuitive interface innovations.

I am looking at the find and replace dialog, I have a pulsing, high actinic blue button in the upper right corner, grabsd me by the eyballs (pulsing, high actinic red and blue in particular have that effect) which takes me to the actions I want to use, set out in a column down the right side of the dialog.

But there is a modifier in the lowish left I should be taking notice of.

Good one!

In fact, that modifier applies NOT to the pulsing blue button's action -- or at least, not in any meaningful way -- but to the action of "Replace All" on the opposite side of the dialog box to it and down the column from the pulsing blue. By the time I am over there, I am not about to look back.

Obviously, this qualifier to action should be adjacent to or even in the same column as "Fine/Repllace All". Probably "Find/Replace All" should be separated off from the ordinary, single, find and replace with a border and the bunch of stuff that applies to it should be labelled "Find/Replace All".

In addition, this column of action buttons, with "Where" added into the "Find/Replace All" group should be on the left of the dialog box. You can leave "case" and other qualifiers you come up with in time under the two entry boxes, and beneath them, across the bottom of the dialog box, add a label "Action Completed" and an empty, white box into which words like: "Nil, no instances of the 'Find' string were found" or "1486 instances found" (for a find all) or "1486 instances bound and replaced", and so on, all in very visible black on white.

And if you lay it out like this, you can chuck the pulsing, high actinic blue down the dunny -- you won't need to drag users' eyes to it because the layout will take care of that.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com