Nisus Writer Pro Hang/Crash

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
scottlf

Nisus Writer Pro Hang/Crash

Post by scottlf »

I've found that NW Pro is a bit crash-prone under Leopard 10.5.2. Sometimes when I'm editing a document (nothing with anything complicated in it, just text) the beach ball will start spinning and the only thing to do is to Force Quit the program.

It doesn't seem to have any real rhyme or reason except that it doesn't seem to happen when adding text to the end of a document, only when inserting it within the document somewhere.

Originally I thought that it might have something to do with importing MS Word files, but it has happened recently with an RTF file that I created using only NW Pro.

I hope this can be fixed in a future release! :(
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Is there anything special about these files? For instance, are there any larger tables inside? You might want to send the file to Nisus using the Help>Send Feedback command.
ewan

Post by ewan »

I've been having similar problems.

I'm using Leopard 10.5.2, and Nisus is currently crashing whenever (a) I try to add a footnote, or (b) when moving EPS images around. It's fine when I'm just typing plain text.

The document isn't very big (6 pages) and has only a few tables/images. I've been sending error reports via the feedback system.

Am hoping an update will fix this sometime soon!
darthkt

crashing

Post by darthkt »

I too have had problems with hanging/crashing. The file is quite long (34K words) but without EPS, graphics, or tables. I agree that it seems to be when inserting text in the middle of the document there is a beachball of death. I have 4 GB of RAM with few only a few other apps open, so I don't think it's that.

Sadly, working with the file with Word 2008 just resulted in a crash too, so perhaps I have a corrupted document.

I know working with Word, you can cut and paste all, except for the last paragraph mark, as a way of removing corruptions. Is there a similar recommendation for NWP to clear out problems?

I will give the public beta a try.
nattskatta

footnote crash

Post by nattskatta »

Nisus crashed today when I was typing a footnote at the bottom of a page and the text ought to have flowed over to the next page. Retried a few times with the same result.

Previously I have only experienced an occasional crash or two. That was back at 10.4.10; now I'm on 10.5.2. I usually write book-length documents without any complex formating and neither graphics nor tables.
nattskatta

Re: footnote crash

Post by nattskatta »

Problem solved (I hope) by inserting an empty page at the end, so that the expanding footnote has "somewhere to go".
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If any of you can provide a document in which a crash can be reliably reproduced, please send it in using the menu Help > Send Feedback. We definitely want to fix these problems.

Also, do give the 1.1 preview a try if you can. Thank you!