Cocoa Breakdown

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Cocoapastor

Cocoa Breakdown

Post by Cocoapastor »

I have a recurring problem that effects NWE and other Cocoa word processing apps. It seems to be based in system resources related to TextEdit. So in NWE, contextual menus no longer function. In other word processing apps applications that are cocoa based, problems are more severe: in TextEdit doubling of spaces and other characters; in Mellel all input freezes after a word or two; in NoteTaker character input is erratic and the app crashes. Non-cocoa apps like MS Word and Mariner Write don’t seem to be affected. Running the scripts in Cocktail has taken care of the problem in the past, then after a week it recurs. Now nothing I have tried is a fix. Anyone with similar experiences?
Renoir

Re: Cocoa Breakdown

Post by Renoir »

Cocoapastor wrote:I have a recurring problem that effects NWE and other Cocoa word processing apps. It seems to be based in system resources related to TextEdit. So in NWE, contextual menus no longer function. In other word processing apps applications that are cocoa based, problems are more severe: in TextEdit doubling of spaces and other characters; in Mellel all input freezes after a word or two; in NoteTaker character input is erratic and the app crashes. Non-cocoa apps like MS Word and Mariner Write don’t seem to be affected. Running the scripts in Cocktail has taken care of the problem in the past, then after a week it recurs. Now nothing I have tried is a fix. Anyone with similar experiences?
This is most likely a Spelling services problem. De-activate CocoASpell (or any other additional spelling option) and download a Panther compatible version.
Cocoapastor

Post by Cocoapastor »

Thank you for the reply, but I have done this and still no change. I had Cocoaspell 1.4 installed, the up-to-date version.
Cocoapastor

Solution found

Post by Cocoapastor »

I discovered the solution in a Mac-Fixit forum. The problem is caused by a bug that can affect all cocoa apps. It is solved by turning off “Check Spelling As You Type.” You may also find it necessary to trash your application preferences.