Hebrew Default Font Settings, etc.

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Enlilbanda

Hebrew Default Font Settings, etc.

Post by Enlilbanda »

When I choose Hebrew Keyboard (click on Star under US Flag) in 10.3, I automatically go to Lucida Grande Hebrew Font. How do I make my default New Peninim (Regular 18 Pt)?

Another annoyance: when I edit text in Hebrew, it automatically reverts to the English font, Shouldn't it remain RtoL and in the Hebrew? This works fine in OS 9 and the old Nisus Writer. Am I just a meshugener? Oy, give a goy a break!
MacSailor

Re: Hebrew Default Font Settings, etc.

Post by MacSailor »

Enlilbanda wrote:When I choose Hebrew Keyboard (click on Star under US Flag) in 10.3, I automatically go to Lucida Grande Hebrew Font. How do I make my default New Peninim (Regular 18 Pt)?
1. Go to Preferences
2. Select Languages
3. Either select a language to change its settings OR add a new language by click on More and then select Hebrew
4.Select New Peninim and Regular 18 Pt as secondary font

Hope this helped you.

/another goy 8)
Peter Edwardsson
Enlilbanda

Default Font Settings, etc.

Post by Enlilbanda »

Thank you for the suggestion about preferences. BUT I have tried this repeatedly and the proper font is not chosen and the language reverts to English whenever I edit the Hebrew I have written. I want the Hebrew system to always use the Hebrew font I choose. Any other suggestions?? Thanks!
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Enlilbanda,

I'm sorry for the long delay in my response. I did not see this message.

There are a few issues "at play" here.

A.
Regarding right to left text of the future… as you may not know (and as we were able to demonstrate to Apple engineers at Macworld in San Francisco at the beginning of January, to their chagrin (and embarrassment!)!), OS X (even Panther [OS X 10.3]) does not *fully* support BiDi (bidirectional) text.

We had it on good authority, though unofficial, that "Panther" Mac OS X 10.3 was to solve *most* of the problems with BiDi text. We were disappointed with the initial release of Panther, but hope for a fix in an update. We have also increased our efforts to solve the problem independently.

Because of this we decided to delay our support for Arabic/Hebrew (BiDi) text editing. Rather than keep all our other devoted users waiting, we released versions of Nisus Writer that do not fully support Arabic/Hebrew. That written, we are hard at work on our own solution to the System's limitations at the same time that we are busy working on all the standard features for which you have come to appreciate Nisus Writer Classic. Even so, you can do *BASIC* right to left text entry in Nisus Writer Express with Panther. This is often all some users need.

There are three main issues that must be addressed by Mac OS X for us to complete our support right to left: text layout, fonts, and keyboard input (i.e. the input methods you can select from the "keyboard menu"). Before OS X 10.2, none of these functions in Mac OS X supported any right to left scripts. With Jaguar, however, fonts and keyboards were provided. In Panther, while much progress has been made by Apple, typesetting (the layout of the text on the screen (and then the page)), is not complete.

With Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3, any text that goes right to left will be laid out right to left for "continuous text". That is, any text that contains no line breaks or tabs. Tabs, however, cause these fragments of text to be laid out left to right. Also, for right to left to function properly the rulers need to be flipped. This capability is also not supported.

The most important thing to know about all of this is that Mac OS X has two text systems for displaying Unicode text: Cocoa and ATSUI. Neither one of these fully supports right to left. Using ATSUI will not fix this issue. We will still need to do our own layout of text so that tabs and rulers function properly.

You may be aware of competing word processor that has been able to display BiDi text for some time. The makers of this program have done good work in adding many valuable features. We have studied the application. While we have mentioned this tool to people who require capabilities that Nisus Writer Express does not currently have, we have major concerns about its usability (in particular its user interface). We have invested our efforts on building a secure and solid infrastructure and a crystal-clear user interface that will enable us to quickly add new features as we progress.

So your wait should not be too much longer.

B.
While Nisus Writer Express should continue to use the old OS 9.x (Classic) fonts (and this should include "WorldScript fonts"), Apple has changed the way it handles fonts. I suggest you read about it all on the Apple Web site.

<http://www.apple.com/macosx/pdf/Panthe ... 82003.pdf>
…and viewing previews of their characters. Managing fonts in Mac OS X Panther is similar to managing music in iTunes. You create collections of fonts (like ...
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/fontbook/>
... Get the most from the exquisite selection of resolution-independent fonts in Mac OS X Panther with the new Font Book, which lets you install, preview, search ...

Users of Greek text or mathematicians face a similar situation. For example, if you want to use the Symbol font for Greek (mathematical) characters. To do that in OS X you need to use the Greek input method which will automatically select the Greek range of Lucida Grande (or a similar Unicode font that has the appropriate characters). This is called "Font Substitution".

C.
You might want to try using the Language Palette and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

To type in multiple languages using Nisus Writer Express:

1. Choose Preferences from the Nisus Writer Express menu.

2. Click the Languages icon at the top of the Preferences dialog.

3. Scroll along the left column until you find the language in which you want to type (for instance Spanish).

Notice that Nisus Writer Express has automatically filled in certain information. We are aware that there is (as yet) no spelling checker nor thesaurus for Danish (from Apple; you might find what you need at <http://cocoaspell.leuski.net/>. You can select a "secondary font" for displaying text in this language. Because I use the Unicode font Lucida Grande, I choose not to have a secondary font. Notice also that we have selected a keyboard for you.

4. Choose the appropriate keyboard you want to use for typing your text from the Keyboard pop-up menu.

5. Check (or uncheck, as you wish) Switch keyboard layouts when language changes.

You are probably better off with checking this (turning this on).

Be sure to do steps 3. 4., and 5. for each language.

6. Close the Preferences dialog.

7. In your Nisus Writer Express document choose Spanish from the Language submenu of the Format menu or from the pop-up menu in the Language palette.

8. Begin typing.

9. When you want to switch to another language (such as Danish) choose Danish from the pop-up menu in the Language palette.

10. When you want to switch back to English, choose English from the pop-up menu in the Language palette.

Now, when you click your insertion point anywhere in the document it will retain the keyboard input method associated with that language.

However, with all that written, we do not know of any thesauri available for Spanish or Danish.

[/url]
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.