Printing and Comments

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Brooke6

Printing and Comments

Post by Brooke6 »

Am I right that I cannot print a document with its Comments, to PDF or to printer?

Also, when I open my Nisus docs with Comments in Pages, the Comments don't come over.

This seems to be true whether the files are .rtf or .doc.

Anything I might be missing here? I've got a handful of papers I've graded with Comments, and don't want to return them to students in edit-able form: rather, in hard copy or PDF.

Thanks,
Brooke
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Printing and Comments

Post by martin »

Brooke6 wrote:Am I right that I cannot print a document with its Comments, to PDF or to printer?
You are correct. Right now the only option available is to use a macro to export the comments to a separate document.
Also, when I open my Nisus docs with Comments in Pages, the Comments don't come over.

This seems to be true whether the files are .rtf or .doc.
Unfortunately Pages doesn't read comments from RTF files, and as Nisus' .doc files contain RTF codes inside, you hit the same limitation using that format. I'm sorry to say that I don't know any good solution to this.
Brooke6

Post by Brooke6 »

Thanks for your reply, Martin. I also found a thread on the topic in the NWP beta forum, through Googling.

To get this job done, I found a Mac with MSWord on it, saved the files into *.doc format in that app, then brought them back to my machine and opened them in Pages. The comments were preserved, and then I printed the files as PDFs. Of course, I could have just printed them as PDFs from MSWord, but I wanted to see that the comments were preserved in Pages from MSWord-native *.doc format.

It is important to me to be able to return commented files in a non-editable (well, not easily editable) format like PDF or hard copy. I'd like to be able to do it in NWP, but will do my grading in Pages for the time being.

Thanks again!
Brooke
marc

Post by marc »

FWIW I'll chime in to say that, obviously, it would be very useful to be able to print Comments.

To maintain the integrity of the pagination, the page could be scaled down (with border added to indicate the real page boundary) with Comments printed along side.

To reduce the amount of down-scaling required, Comments would be best arranged in a single column, on one side of the document.