Desired NWP1.2 Features

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
steintal

Re: Desired NWP1.2 Features

Post by steintal »

The eagle has landed ... but not on the vertical ruler!

Hans (from Switzerland)
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Ah, Hans, you didn’t have to be the bearer of bad news. I have almost given up. Can anyone name a serious WP that does not have a vertical ruler these days? Sad, sad. <sigh>

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
Elbrecht

Re: Desired NWP1.3 Features

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi Geoff -

"they're not measuring up" - very sorry for this!

But let's start asking for vertical writing features instead - the only way to get vertical rulers, may be! With LR and/or RL writing directions available only, vertical rulers look like nothing but layout features - vertical rulers are just not tab settings related. With TB (and/or BT) writing direction(s) this would have to change...

HE

My NWP 1.3 feature request - BTW
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

But let's start asking for vertical writing features instead - the only way to get vertical rulers, may be! With LR and/or RL writing directions available only, vertical rulers look like nothing but layout features - vertical rulers are just not tab settings related. With TB (and/or BT) writing direction(s) this would have to change...
yes! yes!! yes!!!

ninjagame
dude

Post by dude »

How about Sente or Bookends support for 1.3?
Just a guy trying to be a dude...
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

All right, vertical ruler might be missing and would be great to have, but BACK UP TO ANOTHER LOCATION IS THERE. :love:
Anne
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

AFTERTHOUGHT: might one ask our Nisus friends WHY there is no vertical ruler, it seems so elementary - I don't care as much as others, but the questions does beg to be asked…
Anne
DUKETYPE

Post by DUKETYPE »

Please include what I most enjoy about Nisus Classic: the ability to run Find/Replace across multiple open files! I'm forced to use two Macintoshes: I use Nisus Classic on one Mac, which still has OS 10.3 (Panther) running, so that I can boot up System 9. When I've done all my searches, I send the files over the network to my main Mac, which has OS 10.5 (Leopard), with Nisus Pro. It's very time-consuming to have to use two computers because Nisus Pro still hasn't included this one feature. You did it before, you can do it again!

Many many thanks!
ptram

Post by ptram »

If a vertical ruler is to be added to one of the forthcoming versions, I hope it can be shown/hidden separately from the horizontal one. While I like to have this latter open most of the time, I would only use the former when actually needed. I don't like the idea Nisus starts looking too much like Word.

Paolo
Elbrecht

Re: Desired NWP1.3 Features

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi Paolo -

I can't even imagine how Word looks like anymore - I turned Nisus in the early nineties a century ago. And TB/BT writing features are still what makes up a WP in my eyes - it's all about styled Plain Text whatever direction you like to go. You can Hide (horizontal) Rulers now! And what about clever Contextual Rulers to come?

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

This reply just to reach number 100.

Henry
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

haha, hooray 100!
DUKETYPE wrote:Please include what I most enjoy about Nisus Classic: the ability to run Find/Replace across multiple open files!
We actually have a macro that allows for this. See "Find (and Replace) in All Open Documents" on our macros page.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Paolo sez [q]I don't like the idea Nisus starts looking too much like Word.[/q]

Oi ! Come in out of the rain, Paolo ! NisusWriter was the FIRST word processor with a vertical ruler. Word and others COPIED it !!!

And now NW doesn't have it.

The world turns -- but it shouldn't turn like that!

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes", the secrets of how type can help you to sell or influence, and "How to Start and Produce a magazine or Newsletter", now at the new low price of $29.95. See these books and more at http://www.worsleypress.com or Amazon.
karinac

Post by karinac »

What I most of all have hoped for all the time since Mac went X and Nisus Cocoa (?) was Nisus *whatever* getting even close to what made it outstanding for us needing RTL-languages – read: mix of LTR and RTL languages – i.e. getting close to what it was under 8(.5?) and 9...
I do understand that Apple's text engine X leaves plenty to ask for (at least up to 10.4.11 which is what I run).
And, indeed, Nisus no longer promotes itself as "the multilingual word processor" (or something like that) as it did pre X, but still...
Please, for future releases: give us back at least what we had in the Finding preferences back then: search by Root of Word etc etc!
And tweak the text engine to let us edit bilingual text combinations in an at least tolerable way!
All this, of course, for us users who are too lazy to write our own macros ;-)
kcheney

Post by kcheney »

Re: vertical rulers

I agree that is a needed feature. In the meantime, some might like Free Ruler, http://www.pascal.com/software/freeruler/

It opens as a horizontal ruler, but Menu Ruler> Show vertical ruler, will add a vertical ruler so it is like a t-square. Or ungroup the horizontal and vertical rulers and use them separately. Choose your units & various features of the rulers including Interactive Tick Marks which cause the position of the crosshair cursor to be reflected on the rulers themselves. Drag the rulers anywhere on your screen, over the doc you are working on. I use Command-Tab to switch back and forth: working in Nisus with FR as the last app, Command-tab brings the rulers over the doc, command-tab eturns you to editing in Nisus.

It's a workaround but not arduous.

Don't let this make you forget about vertical rulers, O Gods of Nisus!