making a footnote of a footnote

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
batman1234

making a footnote of a footnote

Post by batman1234 »

is there a possibility to make a footnote of a footnote? I have a complex document with a lot of footnotes and some of them I need to explain further or give a reference for the footnote, but the menu does not allow me make a footnote of a footnote..
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: making a footnote of a footnote

Post by martin »

There is no such feature that allows nesting of footnotes- I'm not sure if there's any product that does. Where would such a nested footnote be placed?

Probably the best solution is to make another footnote/endnote for the extra content, and then include a cross-reference to that footnote in the smaller/original footnote.
batman1234

Re: making a footnote of a footnote

Post by batman1234 »

hi martin,

I´ve seen it before...not sure anymore which processor it was...think it was an old version of word perfect..
I´ve also seen books that have footnotes of footnotes, so it can be done...

the footnote of the footnote is placed at the bottom of the page along with the other footnotes, (same size and format)...I´ve seen some though where the size is a bit smaller than that of the "normal" footnotes

cross referencing is possible, but it´s not very elegant because the reference to it would still be in the main text...

in my case i have a text explaining a procedure...a detail of the procedure is explained further in footnote...and what i wanted to to is insert a footnote there for a reference for the explanation...

granted it is probably not something that would be used very often....i´ve checked some of the many footnote styles in use....haven´t found this particular style, but in this case it would be quite useful...