Desired NWP 1.3 features

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
steintal

Re: Desired NWP 1.3 features

Post by steintal »

"Image resizing with precise numerical parameters would be useful too."
I can only support this. A vertical ruler would be nice.

Hans Schäppi
dude

Post by dude »

Maybe native support for Sente since I just realized that Pages 08 and 09 have it. Now the hard part comes, purchase Sente and use Pages 09 or wait it out on NWP. I am waiting for now, but the other side just got greener.
Just a guy trying to be a dude...
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

dude wrote:Maybe native support for Sente since I just realized that Pages 08 and 09 have it. Now the hard part comes, purchase Sente and use Pages 09 or wait it out on NWP. I am waiting for now, but the other side just got greener.
I use Bookends with Scrivener and Nisus ... OK, as far as I can understand there's an extra stage, compared with using it with Mellel for instance, but it's hardly arduous. I'm not going to buy Sente as well ... in any case I tried both of them when I was wanting to find something, but just didn't click with Sente.

On the other hand, I tried Pages 09 last night for the first time -- I have 08 but hardly use it -- as I found it easier to get graphics where I want them in Pages than I do with NWP, but I found that Pages list numbering is totally primitive compared with NWP, so I think I'm going to have to get myself more clued up about placing graphics in NWP.

Mark
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

I think I've asked about this before -- having NW start to scroll the page when the type gets down to several lines -- perhaps about a quarter of the height of the window -- above the bottom of the window.

And the vertical ruler, of course.

Good God, what am I saying?

I withdraw the vertical ruler -- adding it will take away the most significant point of difference between NWP and every other WP... just as HAVING the vertical ruler in the old NW was a signifciant point of difference because no other WP had a vertical ruler. <sarcasm!>

Cheers, geoff

Geoffrey Heard,
Publisher, Editor & Business Writer
The Worsley Press

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- the secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter" -- real publishing smarts. Both now just $29.95. See the books at http://www.worsleypress.com
dude

Post by dude »

xiamenese wrote:
dude wrote:Maybe native support for Sente since I just realized that Pages 08 and 09 have it. Now the hard part comes, purchase Sente and use Pages 09 or wait it out on NWP. I am waiting for now, but the other side just got greener.
I use Bookends with Scrivener and Nisus ... OK, as far as I can understand there's an extra stage, compared with using it with Mellel for instance, but it's hardly arduous. I'm not going to buy Sente as well ... in any case I tried both of them when I was wanting to find something, but just didn't click with Sente.

On the other hand, I tried Pages 09 last night for the first time -- I have 08 but hardly use it -- as I found it easier to get graphics where I want them in Pages than I do with NWP, but I found that Pages list numbering is totally primitive compared with NWP, so I think I'm going to have to get myself more clued up about placing graphics in NWP.

Mark
Truth be told, I use Bookends too. I think Bookends support would pacify the majority. Native support for one of them would be great.

I have Mellel and it just collects digital dust. I can't bring myself to use it for many reasons. It has a place, just not on my computer.

We can wait together hoping for native support at some point in the near future.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

dude wrote:Truth be told, I use Bookends too. I think Bookends support would pacify the majority. Native support for one of them would be great.

I have Mellel and it just collects digital dust. I can't bring myself to use it for many reasons. It has a place, just not on my computer.

We can wait together hoping for native support at some point in the near future.
As far as I can see, the only difference between what happens with Bookends currently and what I presume to be "Native support" is that the citations are pasted into an RTF in a format that you then have to run Bookends over to turn into full citations and build the bibliography, as opposed -- in my thinking :| -- to having a menu entry in NWP which will run Bookends for you and do it. As I do my writing of that kind in Scrivener, I'm perfectly happy to run the exported file over with Bookends first and then open it in Nisus to deal with prettification ...

But I'm completely open to further education in these matters.
:)
Mark
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Dear Santa…

1) A new hyphenation engine, with patterns for languages other than English.
2)Hyphenation as a paragraph attribute.

Henry.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

dude wrote:
Track changes is a must at this point. It is not my number one request but for NWP to stay relevant, it has to happen. Pages keeps looking better all the time.
dude -- and others who have pointed out the need for this feature -- is right. It is essential for teachers, writers, all editors, the whole plagiarism of students, and those working on complex, shared documents in other environments. It must faithfully translate from and to the MS Word equivalent; such a features which does not translate is of limited value since so many complex documents are swapped into and out of the Word environment at some point.

And, of course, it is essential that NWP keep up with/ahead of Pages in respect of WP features.

Cheers, geoff

Geoffrey Heard,
Publisher, Editor & Business Writer
The Worsley Press

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- the secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter" -- real publishing smarts. Both now just $29.95. See the books at http://www.worsleypress.com
dude

Post by dude »

xiamenese wrote:
dude wrote:Truth be told, I use Bookends too. I think Bookends support would pacify the majority. Native support for one of them would be great.

As far as I can see, the only difference between what happens with Bookends currently and what I presume to be "Native support" is that the citations are pasted into an RTF in a format that you then have to run Bookends over to turn into full citations and build the bibliography, as opposed -- in my thinking :| -- to having a menu entry in NWP which will run Bookends for you and do it. As I do my writing of that kind in Scrivener, I'm perfectly happy to run the exported file over with Bookends first and then open it in Nisus to deal with prettification ...

But I'm completely open to further education in these matters.
:)
Mark
Mark, you are correct. I would like to be able to scan and unscan a document from inside NWP. Maybe it is trivial, but it would be nice. Maybe working with the Sente guys they can come together and offer something against Pages/Endnote and sell more software.
torspo

Post by torspo »

Does anyone know if there is an feature comparison chart made about NWP vs Apple Page?
pevensen

Post by pevensen »

I vote for the ability to put footnotes into tables!

I would also like to have the ability to create a column header for a table that is repeated on each page the table spans.
Matze

Post by Matze »

I can't get used to this: when having replaced sth. via F/R by mistake I want to undo this replacement NOT the string I wrote in the F/R window - the way it used to be in old NW.
And I would love it, when a found pattern is NOT covered by the F/R-window.

Best regards, Matze
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Did I already mention being able to go to emaikl as an alternative to printing or pdfing output?

This would be particularly valuable in assocaition with the "merge" feature.

We don't need another email client, we just need the ability to send out of NWPro instead of printing or PDFing.

Back in the day I didn't use Nisus Email except when I wanted to email mail merged documents. Then it was great! NW produced a long document fromn the merge operation; Kino devised a script that would cut that up, name the individual files that resulted (using a fragment the email address, if I remember correctly) and thedse files into the NE folder. NE then sent the emails on their way.

Can we do that in that straight out of the box in this new, more sophisticated world?

Since NWPro already does HTML, then it should offer emailing with two optioons:

* Text only
* Formatted text.

Surely many people would find this capability hugely beneficial ... or at least just handy!

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

Get "Type & Layout: Are you communicating of just making pretty shapes?" to deliver your words with real zing; and "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter" to learn to step safely in the publishing minefield. Amazon or www.worsleypress.com
Kino

Post by Kino »

greenmorpher wrote:Back in the day I didn't use Nisus Email except when I wanted to email mail merged documents. Then it was great! NW produced a long document fromn the merge operation; Kino devised a script that would cut that up, name the individual files that resulted (using a fragment the email address, if I remember correctly) and thedse files into the NE folder. NE then sent the emails on their way.
No, no, what I did was to modify a macro shipping with Nisus Email a bit so that generated files will not cause a problem to you. IIRC the original macro created files with recipient's mail addresses as file name. And files having as ".au" (xxxxx@xxxx.xx.au) were treated as audio files by the Finder ;-)
Can we do that in that straight out of the box in this new, more sophisticated world?
I tend to think it is not an easy task to add such a feature which requires NW Pro to manage mail accounts, deal with SSL and other authentication mathods, encode messages in an appropriate encoding, etc. And long and extensive beta-testing will be necessary because, I think, users expect the uppermost reliabilty and stability from mail clients and alike. However, perhaps it would be quite easy for Nisus people to add the ability to send emails via Mail.app (and other mail clients supporting AppleScript). In that case, you could impute all the possible inconveniences to Apple ;-)
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/S ... ting4.html

In the meantime, I wrote a macro which does something similar and just posted it to Macros forum.
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3366
Please try it if you are interested in it.
torspo

Post by torspo »

Numerical control for table cell dimensios would be nice. I want to be able to create tables with precise predefined dimensions.

cheers,
torspo