How to change one font in text

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
disfasia

How to change one font in text

Post by disfasia »

I have a text with three different types of fonts (one for English, one for Arabic transliteration, and one for Arabic). My English font of all things is that which is causing me great touble--Skia font. So I need to change it in a 450 page document, not changing the other fonts.

How can I do this?

Thanks.
Kino

Re: How to change one font in text

Post by Kino »

This is a bit tricky but AFAIK the surest way to change font globally is to modify the font table in RTF raw code. Try the attached Perl macro which changes font from Skia to Times:

Code: Select all

#Nisus Macro Block
#source front
#send text as RTF
#End Nisus Macro Block

### Change font from Skia to Times ###

while (<STDIN>) {
	s/(?<=\\fcharset77\x20)Skia-Regular(?={)/Times-Roman/; # PostScript Font name
	s/(?<=\\\*\\falt )Skia(?=})/Times/; # Font Family nam
	print;
}

### end of macro ###
Skia2Times_pl.zip
(775 Bytes) Downloaded 867 times
To see PostScript Font name and Font Family name, launch Font Book.app, hit command-i (Preview:Show Font Info) and select a font.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The best way to control these kinds of things is through styles. But since you are asking I assume you do not have styles configured in your document.

Kino's Perl macro is surely the quickest, but if you want to stick to using the Express interface, you could use the font tag to help you out:

1. Place the selection in some Skia text.
2. Click the font tag, eg: the little black underlined "a" icon at the bottom-right of the document window.
3. Choose the menu "Select All".

That should select all similarly configured text, which you can now change all at once. You will have to repeat the process for different formatting configurations, eg: do steps 1-3 for bold Skia text, etc. This may be a burden depending on your situation.

You could always download the Nisus Writer Pro demo to use the attribute sensitive find feature.
disfasia

Post by disfasia »

Thanks. Actually I did that the other day and it worked. But this begs the question: Does Nisis Writer Pro offer much more than Express? Does Pro have the split screen as well (the horizontal screen where I can see a text on page 4 above and page 38 below?

I used to use regular Nisus-- I have been using Nisus for about 15 years--then you only developed NWE and I didn't realize the pro was revised.

What can you tell me about the differences?

Thanks
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Pro does not have a split screen feature. It's filed away as something we'd like to add, so hopefully we'll see it eventually. As for features found in Pro that are not in Express, we have just such a comparison page.
disfasia

Post by disfasia »

Thanks so much. I will read that page.

Cheers.