Nisus to PDF hyperlinks are lost

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
disfasia

Nisus to PDF hyperlinks are lost

Post by disfasia »

Usually when I save my Nisus docs as pdf my hyper links are not lost.

Now with this latest version, they are lost.

Can you help out?

Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Nisus to PDF hyperlinks are lost

Post by martin »

I honestly don't think it possible that any version of Express/Pro ever saved hyperlinks out to PDF. Are you certain about this?
disfasia

Post by disfasia »

I read that having Adobe Professional makes this possible, but that does not seem to be the case either. Why are the links not saved?

Thanks for any help!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

PDFs saved by Nisus Writer never have hyperlinks intact. It may be that you can use an Adobe product to add the links afterwards, or import an RTF file, but I don't know how that process works, sorry.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Not many applications can generate PDFs with hyperlinks using the PDF engine built into Mac OS X. Some exceptions I can think of right now are Pages and OmniGraffle. It would definitely be a nice feature to have in Nisus Writer Pro, so could you put this in the Feature Request database, please? Thanks!
disfasia

Post by disfasia »

Yes, I echo that request! Can you please put this on your next update. Hyperlinks for those of us in academia are becoming ever so important: more texts are available virtually and it is just easier to have hyperlinks for our students to click on from the syllabus to the actual reading or virtual work.

Thanks!
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Hyperlinks in PDFs created by NWP rtf files are never lost for me when the PDFs are viewed in Adobe Acrobat.
When the same PDFs are viewed in Preview and some other PDF viewers, the links don't work.
disfasia

Post by disfasia »

I just downloaded NWP and tried it and NW Pro does not save the hyperlinks. In fact, I would say it is actually worse because what I ended up doing on my syllabus is adding the hyperlink as http://xxx... and so forth. When NWE saves as pdf this http writing works, but when NWP saves it as a pdf, it does not work.
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

Hamid wrote:Hyperlinks in PDFs created by NWP rtf files are never lost for me when the PDFs are viewed in Adobe Acrobat.
When the same PDFs are viewed in Preview and some other PDF viewers, the links don't work.
Hi Hamid,

that's because Adobe have built a hyperlink detection mechanism into Adobe Reader. This mechanism will automatically "activate" hyperlinks, and it can be a very useful feature to have. As you have noticed, though, it is not available in other PDF readers, such as Preview. Also, keep in mind that Adobe Reader can't detect hyperlinks if they are masked, i.e. if you select some text and choose Insert>Hyperlinks>Add Link.
disfasia

Post by disfasia »

Again this does not explain how Nisus makes this happen. I have Adobe and the links from Nisus are NOT working in Adobe.
disfasia

Post by disfasia »

Just to clarify: I was speaking about masked Hyperlinks to which I presume Hamid was referring.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Hyperlinks in Nisus are dead when the file is saved as PDF.
A URL, even when pasted as plain text in NWP, is live when the PDF of the Nisus file is viewed in Adobe Acrobat. It is Acrobat which parses the URL and makes it behave as a hyperlink. A hyperlink display text which does not have the URL format won't be live in Acrobat.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the clarification on this, I wasn't aware of that Adobe Reader feature.

And maintaining live hyperlinks, regardless of the display text, is filed away as something we'd like to add at some point.
quarkdoll

Post by quarkdoll »

Is there any progress on this (it appears to be still broken in the latest greatest version of NWP) -- this is a deal breaker for me finally getting away from FrameMaker.. :- /

Thanks.
ptram

Post by ptram »

Hi Martin,

Any news on the export of bookmarks/hyperlinks? I fear Nisus Writer has remained the only word processor that cannot do this. Please let me underline how important this feature is, in a world where documents are mostly delivered as PDF files.

Paolo