Running headers/footers

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ptram

Running headers/footers

Post by ptram »

Hi,

I would like to create automatic running headers, with variables pointing to a particular paragraph style.

So, if the page has a paragraph "This is heading 1" with the style H1 assigned, and a paragraph "And here is heading 2" with the style H2, I would like to be able to create a running header of this kind:

Code: Select all

{H1} - {H2}
resulting in:

Code: Select all

This is heading 1 - And here is heading 2
The actual text shown would change at each page, depending on the heading text of the current page.

Is this possible with Nisus Writer Pro?

Best regards,
Paolo
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Running headers/footers

Post by martin »

Sorry Paolo, but this isn't currently possible.
ptram

Re: Running headers/footers

Post by ptram »

Hi Martin,

Any plan to add this anytime soon? I see you used running header in Nisus' manual, so I guess this could be of use to you as well.

In the meantime, I wonder if someone could write a macro that does the same thing that happened in the old PageMaker: adding running headers at once, as the latest step of making a book.

As a hint, I would say that the macro could replace all text delimited by special symbols in the headers or footers, making a difference between the left and right header/footer. For example, all text found inside the ## ## delimiters in the left page header could be replaced by the latest paragraph with the Chapter (or equivalent) style applied; all text found inside the ## ## delimiters in the right page header could instead be replaced by the latest paragraph with the Section (or equivalent) style applied.

I would let removing the special symbols as a last, manual step to be done when you are ready to release the book. In case you have to rework the book, you’ll simply replace the inserted text with the ## ## delimiters, and run the macro again.

Not as smart as automatic updating, but it could work while waiting for the real thing.

Cheers,
Paolo