application form

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
nils

application form

Post by nils »

Hi I'm a new user, I would like to use Nisus but I've got a problem; I use often some application form like this one http://www.nato.int/ISAF/services/vacan ... onForm.doc it's just an example because there are a lot of allication form documents...
There are a lot of mistakes between original form and Nisus. can you give me some advices?
Ruchama

Re: application form

Post by Ruchama »

I think that fi you work frequently with word files, you should have neooffice on your mac and open doc files with it.
nils

Post by nils »

openoffice doesn't work well with those kind of file, neo is better but I would like to use Nisus
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

In this case the situation is made worse because that table contains floating text boxes, which NWP does not support. We do try to improve our import process, but translating these kinds of complex documents is always tricky.
nils

Post by nils »

I know but if I wrote simple letter, I would use Text Edit :lol:
However, any suggestion?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

nils wrote:I know but if I wrote simple letter, I would use Text Edit :lol:
I understand your frustration, but honestly there's a huge difference between TextEdit and NWP.
However, any suggestion?
If you have control over the original file, or can request a different format, you'll always be better off with RTF. That's NWP's native file format, so the import will be the best. Unsupported features, like floating text, may still degrade, but likely to a lesser degree.
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

The agency that issued the form is using Custom Properties to process it. I don't know much about these, but it's likely that only a completed version of the original doc file will be acceptable.

Steve
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
ptram

Post by ptram »

Frankly, I would insist the agency use a more cleverly made form. Forcing people to buy a product from a particular brand just for filling forms shoudl not be accepted (especially from government agencies).

A free solution for the customer is the use of PDF forms, that can be filled with any viewer. Or Html forms, that are even more free.

Paolo
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Or go open source, as many European governments have, I understand. But this is Nato so naturally it uses MS Word.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad Doctor Online

Win business with the recession-busting "How to make great ads for (sm)all business: 99 real world advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". See http://www.worsleypress.com