Loading .doc files

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
carrs01

Loading .doc files

Post by carrs01 »

I've loaded the beta for Snow Leopard compatibility and activated Rosetta, but when I try to open .doc file I get loading additional filters. The progress bar gets half way and then hangs. Any solution?
Hamid

Re: Loading .doc files

Post by Hamid »

Same problem here.
It seems that the doc file translator (from OpenOffice) inside the application package crashes.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Not quite the same here. I ran the beta for the first time; tried to open a .doc and was told I needed to install Rosetta (Never had that before! Was Rosetta built into 10.5 and below but not Snow Leopard?) and it installed with no problem. Tried opening the doc again: filter-loading went through without problem, file conversion started then the progress bar stopped at about 10% of the way across.

This will be a partial problem for me, as most of the .docs I receive I import into Scrivener. That imports them without problem under 10.6, so till this is fixed, I guess I'll have to use OpenOffice.org for the few others ... unless of course that has problems too!

Mark
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

xiamenese wrote:Was Rosetta built into 10.5 and below but not Snow Leopard?
Indeed. It was installed by default in Leopard, as Leopard came out in a time where Intel Macs were still relatively new, and not all the programmers had rewritten their applications as universal binaries yet. Some people consider Apple's decision not to include Rosetta in the standard install of Snow Leopard as a means of rebuking those programmers who have not made the move to Intel yet ("Program XY is still PowerPC only. We'll install Rosetta for you, so you can use the app, but do remind the programmer to update his or her software!").

I have not been able to test .doc import in Nisus Writer Pro, as my copy of Snow Leopard has not arrived yet. :cry:
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

almost the same problem here. and I am on tiger. only after about 30 seconds, the file did eventually open.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

The plot thickens.

1) Every time I try opening a .doc, the "Filters loading" alert comes up, I presume it isn't retained in memory as before because the previous import had failed.

2) I left an opening .doc running, and after a couple of minutes it failed with the "format not recognised" dialog.

3) I opened an rtf I had exported from Scrivener ... it opened without problem ... and then tried to export it to .doc (binary). The progress bar ran quickly to around 60% and then stopped. After a couple of minutes, it then failed with a "Can't save file" alert.

So it seems the problem is with the embedded OOo converter.

I'll send feedback to Martin.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks everyone, we're looking into the problem.
shakespearebro

Post by shakespearebro »

I'm having the same problem. Converting .doc files was slow in Leopard, but it worked. Upgraded to Snow Leopard and now cannot convert .doc files. Same symptoms as xiamese.
shrumpkin

Post by shrumpkin »

I'm having the same frustrating issue.
I have installed the new beta, hoping things would change, but alas, no.
Something happens when Nisus tries converting the file format from .doc to .rtf.

Best,

Michael
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We're hoping to have an updated beta that fixes this issue sometime soon.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NWP 1.3.1 beta two is up and should fix the problem where ".doc" files do not open at all under Snow Leopard. There are some other fixes as well. Let us know if you discover any other problems, thanks!
shakespearebro

Post by shakespearebro »

Beta 2 fixed my doc conversion problems. (Note, I am running Rosetta. Not sure if this beta requires Rosetta or not.)

Thanks!
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Yes, on a brief trial here, all seems well again with .doc import.
:)
Mark