spell check not working the same after SL upgrade

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
radioguy

spell check not working the same after SL upgrade

Post by radioguy »

I use a 2-button mouse and have become used to right-clicking on a misspelled word to get choices for correction in the contextual menu. That seems to have stopped since I installed Snow Leopard.

I saw no way to fix this in preferences or anything else. The other spelling windows work fine, but I'd like to get my right-click option back. Suggestions?
dshan

Re: spell check not working the same after SL upgrade

Post by dshan »

The same thing was happening in Nisus Writer Pro 1.3.1b1 and was fixed in the recently released beta 2, so I would assume it will also be fixed in Nisus Writer Express 3.3.1b2 when it comes out. No idea when that will be but hopefully soon.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This is a problem with the way Nisus Writer's custom spell checking (in both Pro and Express) interact with Snow Leopard's new spelling features. It will have to be fixed in an update.
Larsraggio

Post by Larsraggio »

I just downloaded the Snow Leopare beya and the spell check is still clunky and right clicking does not work. Same for Italian language which I use for translating every day . . and the lack of function is really irritating. Hope you will expedite this problem fix!
Thanks, Larry
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Larry, the final release should fix your problem.
jhecht

Post by jhecht »

I have the final release, and it's not working the same as it was running on Leopard 10.4.11.

When I run a spellcheck and it finds an error with more than one suggested spelling, it doesn't automatically pick the top of the list as a default spelling. Instead, I have to use the arrow key to scroll down the list one at a time to pick the right spelling.

There are some advantages to this, because it makes it harder to accidentally pick the default correction when going too fast through a spellcheck. But it's definitely more cumbersome. I don't know what the beta was like, but this looks like something got broken on old versions of the OS to fix something else for Snow Leopard.
Larsraggio

Post by Larsraggio »

Does anyone have an idea when the spell check will again work like it used to do with a right click instead of the really inconvenient requirement to open the special "Spelling box?" I have been forced to stop using Writer Express for my Italian translations after all these years. I hate to not be using it, but the spell check problem is a real pain in the neck. Will greatly appreciate a notice if and when you are able to make it compatible with Snow Leopard. Hope this doesn't fall through the cracks.

Thanks, Larry Ray
Larsraggio

Post by Larsraggio »

Wellllll . . .. I downloaded Writer Express v3.3.1 and now the right click spell check seems to be working fine. Hope everyone else has the same good fortune. Thanks to all.