correct instructions restarting page number after forward

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cas99

correct instructions restarting page number after forward

Post by cas99 »

I have the most recent Pro update (October 14, 2009). I find the instructions for restarting numbers after a forward, ie, to renumber the main text of the document to be:
- wrong
- confusing
- needlessly complicated (unless the program itself is needlessly complicated?

Is there someone who is a careful technical writer who can explain this correctly for THE CURRENT release, V 1.3.1.

I have wasted more than an hour trying to understand these muddled instructions. I have been a NISUS fan for many, many years, but ???

Please.
Last edited by cas99 on 2010-01-20 09:35:20, edited 1 time in total.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: correct instructions restarting page number after forward

Post by martin »

Here's how you restart the page numbering:

1. Place the insertion point (caret) at the spot in your document where you wish to restart page numbering.
2. Use one of the commands in the menu Insert > Section Break. It doesn't matter which kind of section break you insert, choose one that's appropriate for your document.
3. In the "Sections" palette, turn on the "Restart Page Number" option (eg: it should appear "checked"). If you wish, enter a custom starting number.

Hopefully that's clear for you. Let me know if you have any questions.
cas99

Correcting the Instructions of How to Restart Section number

Post by cas99 »

It is clear from reading previous posts going back 5 years that clear explanations of how to restart page numbering has been an issue for your clients. Accuracy and thorough instructions are necessary.

Your instructions omitted several steps - not at all obvious to anyone except expert readers - which sort of defeats the purpose of giving instructions to non-experts.
you said:

1. Place the insertion point (caret) at the spot in your document where you wish to restart page numbering.
2. Use one of the commands in the menu Insert > Section Break. It doesn't matter which kind of section break you insert, choose one that's appropriate for your document.
3. In the "Sections" palette, turn on the "Restart Page Number" option (eg: it should appear "checked"). If you wish, enter a custom starting number.
What would have been clear is:

1. Place the insertion point (caret) at the spot on the page in your document where you wish to restart page numbering.
2. After selecting, e.g., "Same Page" from 'Insert > Section Break' and checking the box 'Restart Page Number' in the 'Sections palette', which will be Section 2 (or which ever Section you are renumbering), insert the insertion point caret where you want the first number of the new sequence to appear. If you want the page number in the Header, insert the caret there; if the Footer, then in the Footer.
3. Using the Paragraph Palette (click the Blue T to get to it), you can justify the number left, right or center in the Footer or Header.
4. In the "Section" palette, turn on the "Restart Page Number" option (ie, the little box should be checked). If you wish, enter a custom starting number.
5. When you have the caret insert point where you want the respective numbers to appear on all subsequent pages (e.g., in the Header or Footer) go to back to the Insert drop-down menu and choose Automatic Number>Page number.

The number sequence in whichever format, Arabic, LC Roman, etc. will have restarted from whatever number you chose as a Restart Page Number in the Sections palette.