saving file, opening file

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
breimerw

saving file, opening file

Post by breimerw »

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is and may be similar to "empty file."
I saved a lengthy file (nametags) in an rtf format because I didn't know any better. This is my first file.
When I opened it the following day, it was not in 3 columns across the top but rather only one in the
center of the page.

I did save another file that I did not want to keep, also in rtf format and could open it up again, however, I
did not shut the computer down in between.

I suspect I cannot reformat this file into Nisus so that I can continue to work on it.

Please advise. What format should I have saved it in? And is this indeed, my problem? What else would change
the formatting of the file and be impossible to change back?
breimerw
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: saving file, opening file

Post by martin »

Hello and welcome. I'm not sure I understand your problem, but saving a file using the RTF file format should not be an issue. RTF is Nisus Writer's native file format, and all features can be saved to it.

As a test I just created an empty file in Nisus Writer, configured it to show 3 columns, and saved/reopened it just fine; all columns had persisted. Perhaps you could describe a little more what you did that caused the loss?
breimerw

Post by breimerw »

I don't know.

When I opened the file up the following day, the formatting had changed so that there was only one column of names instead of three. There was nothing to click to change the format or even enter in new data This file is an rtf file.

I tried opening a few file in Nisus, setting up the formatting and then copy the previous information into this file. It copied but all the data was in a single vertical line on the left side of the column (for all 3 columns). I tried to reformat the horizontal cells (Nisus) so that the name would read horizontally but I could not click on it. How do I make those formatting changes and what is preventing it? What else do I need to click on?

Any ideas?
Thanks, in advance.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

breimerw wrote:When I opened the file up the following day, the formatting had changed so that there was only one column of names instead of three. There was nothing to click to change the format or even enter in new data
When you say columns, do you mean table columns (eg: a structured table with columns and rows) or page/section columns that reflow the entire document? The latter can be configured using the Columns palette, accessible via the Window menu or the tooldrawer palette group with the "little paper" icon. If you want to add rows/columns to a table, use the menu Table > Insert or the table palettes.

I'm not sure what you mean that you could not enter in new data. What exactly happened when you tried to type in new text?
It copied but all the data was in a single vertical line on the left side of the column (for all 3 columns). I tried to reformat the horizontal cells (Nisus) so that the name would read horizontally but I could not click on it. How do I make those formatting changes and what is preventing it?
Where are you copying this information from? Also, you now say you do have three columns after all? I thought that was the original problem, which you could not solve?

With all this confusion, I think it best if you send me an example file so I can see what you mean. The best is to use the menu Help > Send Feedback.
breimerw

Post by breimerw »

I have figured out why the data copied into one vertical line. If I click on prevent widow/orphan my data is fine. However, I don't know why the rtf file did not save in the format I entered the data into and why I could not change the data.
breimerw

Post by breimerw »

What extension do I use if you do not want to see an rtf file?
breimerw

Post by breimerw »

I would like to send you another file in the Nisus format that I am currently working with. Is that possible?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

breimerw wrote:What extension do I use if you do not want to see an rtf file?
If you are asking about sending a file to me, an RTF file is perfect. RTF is the best file format for Nisus Writer, both when saving and importing from other applications.
breimerw

Post by breimerw »

I hope you received both files. I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thank you.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm afraid I don't see any feedback from you, with or without files. How (and/or where) did you send the files? Did you use the menu Help > Send Feedback?
breimerw

Post by breimerw »

So where do I find Help> send feedback? I have looked all over this website. Be specific. What do I click to send a file? I hope I am looking at the same page you are.

At the bottom of the page where I can send a message, it says upload attachment and that's where I tried to send you a file.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

breimerw wrote:So where do I find Help> send feedback? I have looked all over this website. Be specific. What do I click to send a file?
I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough about the menu. I meant for you to use the Help menu from within the Nisus Writer application. It can send us the file as well as some diagnostic information, in case it is useful.
At the bottom of the page where I can send a message, it says upload attachment and that's where I tried to send you a file.
Ah, you've been trying to upload the file as an attachment to this forum thread, for all to see. However, you may observe that there's no files attached to any of your posts here. Something must have gone wrong or you did not complete the upload.

In any case, it's best for you to use the menu Help > Send Feedback from within Nisus Writer Pro.