Header/Footer Problem in Landscape Section.

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ssampler

Header/Footer Problem in Landscape Section.

Post by ssampler »

I set up a two page two-section document. The first page (section) has portrait orientation, the second landscape. I set a header in the first section, The text in both sections prints as expedted, but in the second section, the header is upside down and reversed.

If both sections are set to print in landscape, there is no problem.

Steve
NWP 1.4.1
OS X 10.5.8 PB G4
Hamid

Re: Header/Footer Problem in Landscape Section.

Post by Hamid »

You have to do Page set up for each section separately.
With the cursor anywhere in the first section, do page set up for that section (portrait).
Then put the cursor anywhere in the second section and do page set up for that section (landscape).
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Thanks for the quick response, Hamid. The only way I've been able to get portrait in page 1 and landscape in page 2 is to select the _entire_ section, before page set up, and this leads to the problem I reported initially.

If I do page set up with the cursor in each section, as you suggest, the header is ok in both.. But there is a new problem: the paper size is landscape for page 1, as well as page 2; the text on page 1 prints in portrait, cutting off the top. The problem seems to be the ruler setting for the header in Page 1. The margin settings are right, but the detailed tick marks beyond 8.5 inches of margin are not grayed out, just as in the second section. If nobody suggests a solution in the next couple of days, I'll send the problem document to support.

Steve
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

The solution to both problems turns out to be easy: put the cursor in the _header_ at the start of each section before doing page setup.

Steve
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Nope--I can't consistently get the header and page orientation to both work.. I'll send the document in.

Steve
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

When you invoke the Print command, make sure that the cursor is not in Section 2.
This seems to fix the problem.

I could not reproduce the problem yesterday after several attempts, so I kept trying and finally reproduced the problem (test2prob.rtf file).
It seems the cursor should be in section 1 when you invoke the Print command (test2a.rtf file).

Edit: I have reported this odd behaviour as a bug in NWP 1.4.1.
Attachments
HeaderTest.zip
(32.78 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

Thanks, Hamid. I appreciate your taking the time to replicate this. It will save Nisus (and me) time if it's not some quirk of my system. However your fix doesn't work for this document (attached). Even weirder--the upside down backwards header shows up in Print Preview and the printed version, but not when I save as PDF.

Steve
Attachments
trial.rtf.zip
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 589 times
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thank you for the reports and test documents- we'll definitely take a look at fixing this.

Hamid's trick of keeping the selection in the section 1 header when making a print/PDF should workaround the clipped pages. But for now I'm not sure what to make of the inverted header in Steve's sample document, sorry!
ssampler

Post by ssampler »

I didn't check earlier versions of of NWP 2, but this problem is definitely fixed in version 2.05.

Thanks!

Steve Samuels
Steve Samuels
sjsamuels@gmail.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We did indeed get this fixed for version 2.0.5. It's good to hear a confirmation Steve, thank you!