NWP spellchecker not working at all

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Candace

NWP spellchecker not working at all

Post by Candace »

NWP has stopped marking misspelled words in my document. I've gone to Preferences, then Languages, and found that no language was checked -- so I checked English. No change. Tried closing doc and coming back, quitting NWP (when I open again, once more, no language checked in Preferences), restarting computer.

Please help! I can't produce huge briefs with no spell-check function. Thanks. Candace

P.S. I am running 10.5.8 on a Macbook. Recently added a new mouse, in case that could matter.
Kino

Re: NWP spellchecker not working at all

Post by Kino »

As I have never had that problem, I’m just guessing. That said. Perhaps one of the following files is corrupted or has wrong permissions so that you don’t have Read & Write privilege for it.

/Users/you/Library/Preferences/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist
    /Users/you/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer/Languages/English - British.nlang
or
    /Users/you/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer/Languages/English - US.nlang

(This is Nisus Writer Express forum, not Nisus Writer Pro forum. But anyway, IIRC, the files above are common to them.)

If it is a corrupted file, you will have to delete it and configure it in NWP’s Preferences again. If it is a permissions problem, probably you can correct it in Finder’s Get Info panel.

What happens if you move those files to another folder (don’t hurry to delete them: they may be innocent) before launching NWP?

But is the spell checker working in other applications, e.g. Mail and TextEdit? If not, that’s a system problem and we have to do a trouble shooting in another way.
Candace wrote:Recently added a new mouse, in case that could matter.
And did you install a mouse driver? Most likely yours would be a different problem but, several days ago, I installed a MS mouse driver (IntelliPoint 8.00, v.279) for my Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 and it makes my copy of NWP 1.4.1 misbehave, it seems. Selecting a macro under Macro menu with the command key pushed down should open the macro file. However, if I have the MS mouse connected (which makes the MS driver active, I think), that operation runs the macro instead of opening it. Or is it just me?
Candace

Post by Candace »

Hi Kino, Thanks for weighing in (and sorry about wrong forum). I am scared to move files but will think about it. Not a system wide problem, b/c Mail spellchecking works fine. I was able to turn Spellcheck on from the Edit menu and so far, that's working. And no, didn't install Mouse Driver. (sound like a cartoon character). Thx. again. Candace
Kino

Post by Kino »

Candace wrote:I am scared to move files but will think about it.
Are you running Time Machine or something similar? If so, hopefully replacing those files with older copies, i.e. those before you had the spelling problem, will solve it. Once I fixed a serious Mail problem by replacing its preferences file (com.apple.mail.plist) with an older copy.

If the Time Machine trick does not work, I think the commonest way of trouble shooting this kind of problems would be to make NWP create a fresh copy of com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist by launching it after moving the plist file elsewhere. Hopefully the new copy will not forget your language settings.

What is annoying with this method is that you have to configure all preferences settings again. The following macros create lists of Menu Keys (shortcuts such as ⇧⌘D) and Saved Find Expressions respectively, which will make the reconfiguration easier.
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/alt-quinon/files/ ... ys_nwm.zip
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/alt-quinon/files/ ... ns_nwm.zip
Candace

Post by Candace »

Hi Kino, You're very kind, but your solutions are way above my pay grade. I'm not running Time Machine (backup is on mobile.me, which wouldn't have archived those files, I don't think....) I don't know what a plist is, and I am loathe to do anything that could mess things up worse than they are now.
Martin, if you're listening, if you want to walk me through any of this, I'll do it.... What about if I just downloaded NWP again?
Thanks again. Candace