Would you want Nisus Writer to support the ePub file format?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.

No, I do not care if Nisus Writer supports ePub.
13%
I might find ePub export useful.
13%
I might find ePub export and import useful.
16%
Yes, I want Nisus Writer to export to the ePub file format.
24%
Yes, I want Nisus Writer to export and import the ePub file format.
33%

Total votes: 45

martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

How many of you would find it useful if Nisus Writer could export documents to the ePub file format? Would you expect import capabilities as well?
flips

Re: Would you want Nisus Writer to support the ePub file format?

Post by flips »

I would also find export to eReader (.pdb) useful, even more so than ePub for my part. :)

--
flips
flips :)
jeffnailen

Post by jeffnailen »

Yes please!

It would be great to be able to write and publish ebooks in one app without having to use Adobe InDesign!

I would be surprised if this feature is not added to the desktop version of Pages/iWork 2010 which will probably be announced in two weeks at WWDC.

Thanks for at least considering the idea and listening to requests.

Publishing to .mobi would also be fantastic, but at least ePub!

Cheers,
Jeff
Jester

Post by Jester »

It'd be very interested if one could convert the Nisus file into .epub, my vote goes… hai!
yamabiko

Post by yamabiko »

I'd like to add my voice to those who think NW would be enhanced by adding the ability to save as or export to ePub format. :D

Yamabiko
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

I can see ePub being widely used for very short-run texts and course notes. :o

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Publisher, Editor, Business Writer
The Worsley Press

FREE Bonus book offer. Get "How to make great ads for (sm)all business" FREE when you buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" or "How to Start and Produce a Magazine or Newsletter". Amazon or www.worsleypress.com
yamabiko

Post by yamabiko »

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Best,
Yamabiko :)
loulesko

Post by loulesko »

I would love it if Nisus would support an e-pub export. I don't think an import is necessary, at least from my perspective. But I have a short book that will be ready to e-publish in about a month. Use me as Guinea Pig if you like. That would be awesome. As in I'd buy you all a beer awesome.

thanks
Lou
talaivan

Post by talaivan »

I think this would not only be useful, it would make Nisus a step above all other word processors, especially if it allowed for import and export of epub files. It would also be useful if it came with a macro that could search for chapter headings and make them epub chapters. This would allow users to send book-type documents rather than pdf's.
iljajj

Post by iljajj »

I think that the desirability to publish in ePub has increased dramatically over the past few months. To me, it would be a USP for Nisus, and a good reason to justify its wider use at our (and I would imagine a number of other) institutes.
Freedom

Post by Freedom »

Yes, although now not so essential, as it is fairly easy to export an excellent fully formatted html file on an iMac - i.e the NWP macro 'Convert Head Indent & Wrap to Spaces' which runs smoothly through the Calibre ePub conversion process. It looks great on an iPad or iPhone complete with any in-line coloured images.

The real ePub difficulty in a NWP document is that the Table of Contents, as set up in a NWP document, does not convert to the Table of Contents in an ePub Document, although it carries over the chapter page number linkings.
The ePub conversion shows only the page numbers correctly linking to the appropriate pages from the NWP document but NOT the titles of the chapters which appear in the Table of Contents of the NWP document.
These titles then have to be all retyped by hand, to replace the individual linked page numbers in the ePub .noc file as corrections in the appropriate lines of html encoding.
Doesn't seem a big job? Well, it is when you have a book with 180 chapter headings.
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

I will have to try the html conversion and Calibre solution that Freedom mentions, but I would be thrilled if we could have straight to ebook in NWP! With the iPad and iPhone being so ubiquitous among my students and iBooks being very enjoyable way to read, I would have a tremendous use for this in preparing course material for students, not to mention getting my books over to ebook format.
craigminah

Re: Would you want Nisus Writer to support the ePub file for

Post by craigminah »

While I think export to ePub is nice to have, importing is much less important (just like we can export pdf files but not import them).