NW for iPad?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
iljajj

Re: NW for iPad?

Post by iljajj »

flips wrote:
iljajj wrote:Just a tip: don't use Pages, use Docs to Go or QuickOffice connect on the iPad: both of them will do RTF (and properly), and both will sync with Dropbox. I have my Nisus documents folder on Dropbox, and I can access that with Docs to Go. Works like a dream.

Between Docs 2 Go and Quickoffice Connect, there's not much in it - although my impession is that Docs 2 Go is more actively developed.
DocsToGo only support RTF read-only, it uses the builtin RTF reader, so it's just like opening the files in the Dropbox app, or GoodReader or whatever ... And it also has trouble opening Word and Word binary formats saved from Nisus. I had to open in Word and save again before DocsToGo would open it.

I would love to see an iPad RTF editor that doesn't mess up the styles/template if you make changes and save the doc. (Limited feature set would be ok, just don't mess up the file ...)
That'll teach me to not look at a feature properly before advising it. Sorry, guys. In fact some more extensive research reveals that sofar NO app is able to edit .RTF files. Can't imagine it to be difficult, but it would really help me out, and others I wouldn't wonder.
flips

Post by flips »

iljajj wrote:That'll teach me to not look at a feature properly before advising it. Sorry, guys. In fact some more extensive research reveals that sofar NO app is able to edit .RTF files. Can't imagine it to be difficult, but it would really help me out, and others I wouldn't wonder.
I found NoteMaster, that edits RTF, but not properly. It's not meant to edit general RTF files, so it just uses it's limited RTF template/styles ...

So a Nisus iPad app would be nice, no matter how limited the features are, as long as it leaves styles etc intact.
flips :)
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

iljajj wrote:[...] In fact some more extensive research reveals that sofar NO app is able to edit .RTF files. Can't imagine it to be difficult, but it would really help me out, and others I wouldn't wonder.
Indeed, I discovered the same after I bought an iPad. Expected there would be a simple but decent text editor with RTF capabilities, but so far I haven't found one too.

A Nisus ComPacd :wink: app would be nice, especially when it would have Nisus Pro Find/Replace capabilities.

Dirk Barends
flips

Post by flips »

To my needs, Documents To Go has been sufficient as for capabilities, except for the fact that I have to open my Nisus documents on a computer with Microsoft Word and save as a .doc or .docx file from there to be able to open the file for editing on my iPad (or iPhone) ...
I'm not sure what triggers Docs To Go to fail on files exported to Word binary format in NWP. Have reported the issue to both Nisus and DataWiz, but haven't heard rumors of any fix yet ...
flips :)
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Dirk_Barends wrote:
iljajj wrote:[...] In fact some more extensive research reveals that sofar NO app is able to edit .RTF files. Can't imagine it to be difficult, but it would really help me out, and others I wouldn't wonder.
Indeed, I discovered the same after I bought an iPad. Expected there would be a simple but decent text editor with RTF capabilities, but so far I haven't found one too.
And THAT is absolutely bizarre. What is with Apple? You'd think they would t least put Text Edit on the iPad.
A Nisus ComPact :wink: app would be nice, especially when it would have Nisus Pro Find/Replace capabilities.
Ha! A blast from the past and a darned good idea. :)

Best regards

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad-Doctor-Online
http://www.ad-doctor-online.com
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

And THAT is absolutely bizarre. What is with Apple? You'd think they would at least put Text Edit on the iPad.
This is the question I have been asking myself for months. It's very simple: if I cannot work text on the iPad, I won't use it. In fact I sold my iPad on the day the MacBook Air 11" was put on the market: same weight, a few millimeters larger only, just as quick and handy, but no problem, it's a Mac. I installed only the software I really need on it, and I won't go back to an iPad until .rtf works seamlessly. Maybe never... I tried everything that has been suggested on this thread, to read and write in the .rtf format, and it's never satisfying.

Cheers to all!
Anne
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

The basic fact is simple ... iOS only supports plain text, except in the limited sphere of Pages on the iPad, which, just as with Pages on the Mac, is built with private APIs and code which Apple won't release to developers ... and if my understanding of what I've read is correct, one reason for not accepting an App onto the App-store is the use of private APIs by the developer. I don't know how the programmers of Docs to Go and QuickOffice have got round this, but of course they are companies with a long history of developing such cross-platform portable apps.

As for Apple's rationale, who knows. But perhaps, contrary to the many rumours of the future demise of MacOS, perhaps the crippling of iOS in this way is intended to make sure that a market for MacOS remains, particularly for computers like the 11" MBA, as there is a clear demarcation line in capability. How many people, like me and Anne Cuneo, will consider the iPad, but will buy the MBA because it meets their needs which an iPad doesn't. The iPad and the 11" compete in size and weight, but not in power or price.
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

Yes, I would prefer a MacBook Air too, of course -- if the price was the same as an iPad...

On the moment I make do with the Notes app on the iPad for text writing,
because it synchronizes well with the Notes portion of Apple Mail.
Unfortunately, Notes on the iPad is very limited and restricted to an ugly yellow background,
otherwise I could perhaps live with it,
as writing/editing plain text (html files too) is what I mostly do on the iPad
when I am not reading or emailing with it.

Dirk Barends
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

The more I look at it, the more I think the iPad is something other than just a computer. I don’t think it’s more than a computer. It’s just something else.

That said, I don’t have an iPad, and I’m not going to need one in the foreseeable future. I’m quite happy with my macbook. So I am speaking of something that I don’t have. I am speculating. I just am not convinced.

Back on the iPad now.

Looks like the most successful applications for the iPad are the ones that allow you to download and read an online version of a newspaper. I don’t know if this is an unintended consequence. After all, when the cell phones came out, some twenty years ago, messaging technology that was embedded in them was meant to be a gadget, something that users would seldom use. Yet it’s turned out to be the main reason the people use a cell phone today. Or look at the internet. Wasn’t it just a military tool?

When the iPad first came out, many pundits hailed to it as “the kid that is going to kill the laptop.” This would make sense if Apple were to gain from “killing the laptop.” But it turns out that Apple produces laptops. Why should Apple convince the people to use Apple’s iPad and do away with (Apple’s) macbooks? Wouldn’t it be like Apple shooting its own foot?

Greetings, Henry.
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

Groucho wrote:The more I look at it, the more I think the iPad is something other than just a computer. I don’t think it’s more than a computer. It’s just something else.
Indeed, for me the iPad is a sort of extension of my 'normal' computer, that can be used 'unattached' to it.

BUT, be careful when saying the iPad is not a computer, because like in France (?) you may pay more tax for it then?
[...] Looks like the most successful applications for the iPad are the ones that allow you to download and read an online version of a newspaper. I don’t know if this is an unintended consequence. [...]
I do a lot of newsreading on the iPad that way now, aside from using Safari to keep up with forums...

Dirk Barends
ptram

Post by ptram »

Nearly all writers with an iPad I know use it with a keyboard attached. If so, I would say that (price apart) the MacBook Air 11" is a much better choice.

I wouldn't want Nisus to lose time on an iOS app, because this would steal time from their core business - maintaining the best wordprocessor for the Mac.

With Scrivener, I'm happy to synch single documents (sections of a project) with text documents written on the iPhone or a netbook running WriteMonkey. Markdown syntax is a great help to formatting.

In Nisus Writer, I could be happy to synch sections of a document with external documents. But in the meantime I'm happy enough with using either the old, trusty Cut & Paste to do the same.

Paolo
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

ptram wrote:[...]
I wouldn't want Nisus to lose time on an iOS app, because this would steal time from their core business - maintaining the best wordprocessor for the Mac. [...]
On the moment it would be more convenient for me if Nisus was capable of exporting to ePub format somehow (macros?),
because ePub provides easier text reading than PDFs.
I am now giving it a go with Sigil http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
Will see if that works well (enough) for me.

Dirk Barends
Candace

Post by Candace »

I am so sad to see that you wise ones have not found a solution to the iPad problem. I have been going crazy trying what items or combo of items will meet my needs: Kindle ( clear, non back-lit reading quality, but no good for reading .pdfs), iPod Touch (want apps for banjo practice and bird identification, check e-mail on the road), iPad (easy e-mail, apps, and reading .pdf trial transcripts, working on docs) or MacBook Air (heavier than iPad plus no apps).

I had decided that a iPad would be my best bet --- but now this. No Nisus, no .rtf recognition, no iPad. BAH!!!!!

I do wish Nisus would make an iPad compatible version....Cheers, Candace
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

Candace wrote:I am so sad to see that you wise ones have not found a solution to the iPad problem. [...]
Problem? Not really, just a few shortcomings, for me.
Otherwise I would have bought a Netbook, or a MacBook Air if I could afford one.
[...] MacBook Air (heavier than iPad plus no apps). [...]
No apps on the MacBook Air??
You mean that you cannot use a mobile application on the MBA?
But why would you want to?
As a matter a fact, the next Apple Mail app(lication) will be more like the mobile Apple Mail app(lication),
and I really would appreciate that!

Dirk Barends
Candace

Post by Candace »

I was (am) interested in having something more mobile (and a lot cheaper!) than a Macbook Air -- so, for instance I could use a bird identification app in the field, a slow down music app at my banjo lesson, etc. etc.
I know an iPad is not a proper computer; I'd still like to be able to do some word processing on it in a way that works with Nisus. Someone has now suggested saving Nisus docs in plain text, which evidently a number of iPad apps can deal with. I don't know how it will work once I open those iPad created docs in Nisus (once back on my Macbook), but I'm assuming that my work will not be lost.