problem with new file

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
disfasia

problem with new file

Post by disfasia »

Latest NWE, MacBook and OS

Ok, so here is my problem: I pres command N and a midget paper comes up on my screen. I thought is was the printing prefs, but it is not. When I go to the Nisus New File and press on it, a proper US letter-sized paper comes up.

Why is command N not doing this?

Thanks in advance.
disfasia

Re: problem with new file

Post by disfasia »

Can someone please please help. This is so screwed up and is ruining my day! I have to look at this midget page (where do I change page size IN NISUS and yes I know about printer setup--that is not the problem)? and when I reset up the printing the page goes back to normal letter size. then when i reopen command N another midget page appears.

I am really upset and need to be be able to send my work which appears cogent--this is making me want to switch software!
disfasia

Post by disfasia »

Yes, it is the fault of th epreferences file in nisus. i save as nisus new file.dot ==no problem. i use the editor and it makes is short again.

I need for this to be fixed immediately. This is a major glitch in your software and I hope you fix it. I have tested this with text edit and everything is fine. so this is definitely a Nisus problem.

Thanks.
disfasia

Post by disfasia »

I discovered the problem. Nisus makes midget pages out of those documents that were created on iPad software called Pages. Pages does export to rtf, or rather it creates one. But somehow all my docs made from this read by Nisus make the page extremely short.

Ok, now to enjoy the rest of this day.
dshan

Post by dshan »

disfasia wrote:I discovered the problem. Nisus makes midget pages out of those documents that were created on iPad software called Pages. Pages does export to rtf, or rather it creates one. But somehow all my docs made from this read by Nisus make the page extremely short.

Ok, now to enjoy the rest of this day.
No, the iPad version of Pages does not export to (or import from) RTF format. It only supports PDF, Pages (for Mac) and MS Word file formats.

The only way to get a document from Pages on the iPad into Nisus is to export it from pages on the iPad in MS Word format and then let Nisus convert it into RTF when it imports it. To go the other way you have to export it (i.e. File>Export as... [Microsoft Word Format (binary)]) from Nisus in MS Word format (i.e. Word binary format, not the rtf-disguised-as-.doc format Nisus creates when you use the File>Save As... [Microsoft Word Format] option).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It sounds like you have things solved to your satisfaction, but I'd like to clarify the paper size situation.

For new files, Nisus Writer uses the paper size set forth in your OSX system preferences. Your Nisus New File (the template used for new files) will also always automagically show whatever paper size you have set in your system preferences. The only caveat is that Nisus Writer may not detect changes in the system paper size while it is running. In other words, it may be confusing if you switch your system paper size while Nisus Writer is running (you might see your old/previous paper size show up).

For existing files, wherever you get them, the paper size should be saved inside the file itself. Your system settings have no effect on existing files.