NWP 2, panes, and views

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Agnostus

NWP 2, panes, and views

Post by Agnostus »

Hi there,

wonder if I suffer from slightly idealized memories, but didn't NWP 1.4 remember what panes were open in what view? I think I used to have the comments open in draft view, and the navigator in page view. With NWP 2 that feature seems to be gone. Now, when I switch views, the panes that were open the view I am switching from stay open in the view I am switching to. I personally preferred the old behavior (if I remember it correctly). What do other users on the forum think?

Otherwise NWP looks promising (haven't had much time to explore it yet). Am grateful for the track changes feature, but also for the text boxes. Seems like I finally can leave Pages behind for most of my needs (I will still keep it for its excellent Word compatibility, though)

Martin
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: NWP 2, panes, and views

Post by martin »

No, don't worry, you're not fabricating or idealizing your memories. This behavior was changed for version 2.

Starting with version 2, if a pane is open in Draft View, it will also be open in Page View (and vice versa). Personally I think the change makes a lot of sense, and I like it. What do others think?
Agnostus

Post by Agnostus »

The new behavior does make sense, but the old did too. Would adding an option for that to the preferences be feasible?

Yes, I do want my cake and eat it 8)

Martin
feat

Post by feat »

in my opinion, this is a wrong move: draft and page views have different vocations, and should not have to share settings like ruler display, zoom level, navigator, and so on…

I liked the uncluttered view offered by the draft mode so much I even set up my default new file template so that its horizontal ruler and navigator are disabled in draft mode;

now, if I don't need no top ruler in draft mode (since margins aren't honored anyway), it will also get suppressed in page mode where I need it: very inconvenient, to say the least…
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

As a possible workaround for this problem you could switch views with a macro:

Code: Select all

Draft View
if Menu State “Show Rulers”
	Show Rulers
end
if Menu State “Show Navigator”
	Show Navigator
end
You can adjust the macro to reflect the type of view like.
philip
feat

Post by feat »

thanks, but this is a tad too clunky for everyday use: wouldn't it be simpler if NW reverted to its old behavior?

I wonder who ever complained about the views having different settings: I even wish there were many possible views, like it's done in Apple Logic Pro, for instance…
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

feat wrote:thanks, but this is a tad too clunky for everyday use: wouldn't it be simpler if NW reverted to its old behavior?
Really? I'm not sure I follow. You assign the macro a keyboard shortcut or a toolbar button and the functionality is pretty much indistinguishable from whatever way you are doing it now. I mean, I know it's a a workaround, but I figured you might want something you could start using this afternoon. But I guess you don't really want this feature all that bad…
philip
feat

Post by feat »

no, no, no: don't get me wrong… I immediately stored that macro where it belongs, adapted it to reset the page and style views as well, and reassigned my previous shortcuts: it all works like a charm — as long as I don't use the toolbar to switch!

again: thank you for helping me, but I still think each view should have its own property settings, especially if other view modes were added in a near future, like two pages in a row, or even (gasp!) vertical and horizontal split views…
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

I certainly agree with your point that it would be nice to have the ability to have separate views. And I have no doubt that the team has put it on their to do list for the future :)

As for the workaround: it's true that the current view switcher button on the toolbar can't be reassigned. One could workaround that too, if you remove it and replace it with three buttons :( , and assign them to separate macros for each view. But yeah that's ugly…
This solution could be adjusted, by making the macro more sophisticated. It all depends how much one wants this. If you have any more interest in this, and want some help, let me know.

And of course I never intended this idea as an excuse for Nisus to stop improving its product.
philip
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Hi,

I'm wondering if split panes might be implemented anytime soon? Or at the very least the ability to open multiple views of the same document...
I've been using Scrivener for composing text and the view options are absolutely fantastic, and I think NWP could benefit from similar features.

thx
sb