truncated page numbers

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
feat

truncated page numbers

Post by feat »

there is a problem with automatic page numbers when printing — or saving to pdf: they are sometimes truncated so that instead of "10" I'll get "1"… this doesn't show in Nisus Writer's display proper: page numbers look okay, even when using the facing page layout with numbers alternating on left and right upper corners;

this is pretty inconvenient, since most of the documents I publish have more than a 100 pages...

this appears to be consistent throughout the whole document, unless there's a section break: then the new section might truncate the number, or it might not… sometimes, only odd pages are affected, sometimes only even, most of the times both are affected — yet all of my sections are defined the same, the sole difference being that a chapter's title is added to the header for that section;

any workaround?
Hamid

Re: truncated page numbers

Post by Hamid »

I cannot reproduce the same problem, but there is definitely a bug. Here is what I get when I print to PDF a document of 350 pages. Only the following page numbers are truncated; the rest are fine:

page 10 appears as page 1
page 11 appears as page 1
page 100 appears as page 1
page 101 appears as page 1

I guess the same would happen if I had more pages where

page 1000 would appear as page 1
page 1001 would appear as page 1

The problem here seems to happen when a digit is added as when 9 (one digit) moves to 10 (two digits) and 99 (two digits) moves to 100 (three digits).
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

The bug also affects Roman numbers:

page viii appears as vi
page xii appears as x
page xiii appears as xi
page xvi appears as xv
page xvii appears as xvi
etc
feat

Post by feat »

when a digit is added
hmm, not exactly: I'm getting documents which are correctly numbered until page 34, then all pages are numbered 3, 4, 5… until they suddenly show their actual number again on page 63, then revert to a 1-char number on page 107, and so on!

and this doesn't appear to be related to the use of alternate odd/even headers when using the facing page option…
feat

Post by feat »

I'm baffled: I've just saved the very same document as pdf without changing anything in it, and now all page numbers are okay…

could it be a system-wide interference?

I've noticed that when NW 2 is running, bbedit and text wrangler become intolerably slow… but maybe it's just me!
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Odd that I don't see this phenomenon in the User's Guide (produced, of course, in Nisus Writer Pro 2.0). Did we not put the number far enough out to the edge to trigger the phenomenon?
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Kino

Post by Kino »

rmark wrote:Odd that I don't see this phenomenon in the User's Guide (produced, of course, in Nisus Writer Pro 2.0). Did we not put the number far enough out to the edge to trigger the phenomenon?
Here are a NWP document and a pdf affected by the problem (too large to post here):
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/alt-quinon/temp/files001.zip

In the page 10 of the pdf, the page number is shown as “1”. I attached the same zip to my last feedback too.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Other numbering systems are affected as well by the bug, some more than others.
For example, in Arabic Indic Eastern, at every 10th increment two even numbers are truncated and at the first 100th increment three even numbers are truncated.
In the case of Lowercase Alphabetical a to z are all right, but after z, (when there is the first instance of doubling of letters) ‘aa’ and ‘ab’ both appear as ‘a’.

Truncated numbers are already thus in the rtf file (as opened in NWP 2.0) when the page number affected is not within viewable screen.

The same files printed with NWP 1.4.1 are all right.
Lanx

Post by Lanx »

Kino wrote:
rmark wrote:Odd that I don't see this phenomenon in the User's Guide (produced, of course, in Nisus Writer Pro 2.0). Did we not put the number far enough out to the edge to trigger the phenomenon?
Here are a NWP document and a pdf affected by the problem (too large to post here):
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/alt-quinon/temp/files001.zip

In the page 10 of the pdf, the page number is shown as “1”. I attached the same zip to my last feedback too.
Yes, indeed, I printed the document to PDF, and got page 10 as "1", page 11 is ok, and page 12 as "1", too. (Mac OS X 10.5.8 German PPC)

(But on the flip side, I got a PDF with a beautiful, clickable TOC in drawer of preview app.) :love:
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Looks like it’s something to do with page setup. I changed the page size to A4 and the bug disappeared. I had to reposition the right-aligned tab accordingly of course, but nothing else.
On the other hand, the manual is US Letter, just like the Macro Reference file.

Cheers, Henry.
Lanx

Post by Lanx »

Groucho wrote:Looks like it’s something to do with page setup. I changed the page size to A4 and the bug disappeared. I had to reposition the right-aligned tab accordingly of course, but nothing else.
On the other hand, the manual is US Letter, just like the Macro Reference file.

Cheers, Henry.

Yes, indeed. Changing the format to A4 eleminates the bug, but rechanging it from A4 to US letter brings it right back. Seems to be a problem with this specific page setup.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

All my test documents, where the bug is present, were with A4 page setup.
Also, when the same documents were printed with NWP 1.4.1 there is no problem.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Lanx wrote:Yes, indeed. Changing the format to A4 eleminates the bug, but rechanging it from A4 to US letter brings it right back. Seems to be a problem with this specific page setup.
A custom page size should do the job.

1. Go to Page Setup and select Manage Custom Sizes… from the Paper Size drop-down.
2. Click on the plus button and create a custom page size with exactly the same size as US Letter (8.5 by 11 in.).
3. Give it a name of your choice.
4. Apply this size to the document.

Now this should work alright. At least it does with me.
I hope this will solve the problem temporarily.

Henry.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

I just tried this with "Save As PDF" (on a document set up for B5 JIS) and got similar results. The truncated pages were as follows:

v[ii], 1[0]. 1[1], 1[3], 10[0], 10[1], 11[3], 12[0], 12[1], (but not page 123). At least those were the ones I saw. It seems to be a bit more random than Hamid suggests.

NB: Not all my roman numeral pages had numbers. I didn't print any of this out (and don't intend to). I haven't tried Henry's trick yet.

Oh yeah, and I love the TOC in the pdf too!
philip
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Hamid wrote:Truncated numbers are already thus in the rtf file (as opened in NWP 2.0) when the page number affected is not within viewable screen.
This means:
1. The PDF is only faithfully producing the page numbers as they are in the file opened by NWP 2.0.
2. If, for example, page 10 appears as '1', then if you print the file again while page 10 is viewable on screen that page number will not be truncated; it will print as '10'.