Mail and Finder icons changed after NWP 2 install

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
atmartin50

Mail and Finder icons changed after NWP 2 install

Post by atmartin50 »

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum.

I recently upgraded to Nisus Writer Pro 2, and I noticed that something strange happened. After installing NWP 2, I realized that the blue folder icons in Mail.app's sidebar were replaced by the NWP logo; this also happened to a couple of the icons in Finder's preferences menu. Please see the attached sceenshots in order to see what I mean.

The only operation that I performed (outside of my usual work routine) after installing the program was to set NWP as the default program for opening .docx files via the "Get Info" option through Finder. I really have no idea how this happened.

As far as what I've tried thus far to remedy the issue, I've tried resetting Mail by deleting the /myusername/Library/Mail folder and by deleting the com.apple.Mail.plist file within /myusername/Library/Preferences, but to no avail. I'm thinking of possibly uninstalling NWP and then reinstalling to see if that might help.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Any ideas on how I might solve the problem? Granted, it's not a huge issue, but it kind of grates on me from a visual standpoint when I use Mail.

Many thanks!

Aaron
Attachments
Mail_folder_icons.tiff
Mail_folder_icons.tiff (6.14 KiB) Viewed 8209 times
Finder_preferences_logos.tiff
Finder_preferences_logos.tiff (16.73 KiB) Viewed 8209 times
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Mail and Finder icons changed after NWP 2 install

Post by rmark »

Hi Aaron,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.

We've noticed that issue with the earliest downloads of the application and have replaced that with one (using the same version number) that does not cause the problem. However, you need to do a bit of work to restore the icons.

1. Move the bad (current) copy of Nisus Writer Pro to the trash.

2. Download the new/fixed copy of Nisus Writer Pro and put it in your applications folder. You can use this link:

http://nisus.com/files/GetDemoRedirect. ... sWriterPro

3. Empty the trash.

4. Log out of the current user.

5. Log back in.

That should solve it.

Some users indicate that they need to rebuild their "LaunchServices DB". They suggest using the shareware tool Cocktail which does many other things that you might also be do to maintain a clean system.

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/download.php

We apologize for the inconvenience.

I hope that helps. If you need any additional assistance, please let me know.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
atmartin50

Post by atmartin50 »

Hi Mark,

That solved it! Thanks a lot for your prompt reply, and once again, great job with the new version of Nisus Writer Pro!

Aaron
kivancmuslu

Post by kivancmuslu »

Edit: Nevermind my question, the process even didn't require my to log out and log in again. Once I reinstalled the new NisusWriterPro and quit Mail and open it again, it was fixed.

Thanks,

Hi,

I am having the same issue, however I am currently too lazy to follow these steps.

My question is: does this have any known bad side effects (other than changing the folder icons)?

Thanks,
rmark wrote:Hi Aaron,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.

We've noticed that issue with the earliest downloads of the application and have replaced that with one (using the same version number) that does not cause the problem. However, you need to do a bit of work to restore the icons.

1. Move the bad (current) copy of Nisus Writer Pro to the trash.

2. Download the new/fixed copy of Nisus Writer Pro and put it in your applications folder. You can use this link:

http://nisus.com/files/GetDemoRedirect. ... sWriterPro

3. Empty the trash.

4. Log out of the current user.

5. Log back in.

That should solve it.

Some users indicate that they need to rebuild their "LaunchServices DB". They suggest using the shareware tool Cocktail which does many other things that you might also be do to maintain a clean system.

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/download.php

We apologize for the inconvenience.

I hope that helps. If you need any additional assistance, please let me know.
~ Kivanc Muslu
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I know you said nevermind, but all the same:
kivancmuslu wrote:My question is: does this have any known bad side effects (other than changing the folder icons)?
Not that I know of. Basically the problem is just that OSX is associating folders with NWP, and hence a NWP file icon. But otherwise the folders are still just folders. NWP didn't actually make any changes to the folders or the system, it's just OSX choosing to display an odd icon.
kivancmuslu

Post by kivancmuslu »

I thought about the same Martin, thanks!
~ Kivanc Muslu