Great job, but spelling errors

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
gnoli

Great job, but spelling errors

Post by gnoli »

Dear guys, great job with NWP 2.0 Thank you very much. Now the competition with Mellel is really won. Only the spelling in Italian language is very very lacking. Too much errors :o !!!
I really hope that will be possible to fix it in the next future.
Jester

Re: Great job, but spelling errors

Post by Jester »

I don't think that's Nisus, but Mac's dictionary.

Ciao!
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

gnoli wrote:[…] the spelling in Italian language is very very lacking.
Hello, gnoli.
I am not sure, what spelling errors are you talking about? Are you referring to errors in the spell-checker or errors/typos in the user interface? In the latter case, you can signal errors to Nisus via the Help>Send Feedback… menu. Select Typo/Correction under the Feedback Type drop-down. If the former case is true, instead, you can only blame Apple, as Jester suggested. Also note that there are a number of third-party spell-checkers that work through Cocoa, such as Spell Catcher and GNU Aspell.
I hope this helps.

Greetings, Henry.
gnoli

Post by gnoli »

Thank you, for your answers, I referred to errors in the Italian rules for dividing words in different lines. E. g. it is wrong to divide "ines-timabile", the correct spelling is "in-esti-ma-bi-le". Is it possible to override this with Spelling Catcher? (I am registered user).
Thank you
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Ah, that’s the US-English hyphenation. Words are hyphenated following US English rules. I’m sorry to tell you that this is a limitation of Apple’s text engine, which NWP relies upon. I hoped that version 2 would come with multilingual hyphenation, but I was disappointed. Now and then I happen to use documents in Italian and Spanish.
Some time ago, one year or so, I contacted Apple’s development center and suggested they allowed third-party multilingual hyphenation patterns, if anything. They told me the issue had already been signaled and filed as an enhancement request.
Maybe Nisus could tweak Apple’s text engine so that hyphenation schemes in languages other than US English can be added. After all, Pages has multilingual hyphenation, and as far as I know it is based on Apple’s text engine. (By the way, this is the only reason I still have Pages).
Last, the hyphenation issue popped up occasionally in this forum. You can perform a search and give it a read.

Greetings, Henry.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Groucho wrote:After all, Pages has multilingual hyphenation, and as far as I know it is based on Apple’s text engine. (By the way, this is the only reason I still have Pages).
No, Henry, Pages doesn't use Apple's text-engine ... they have their own proprietary one for that and won't release the file format, so that people like Keith Blount at Literature and Latte can't provide an export format which will enable footnotes, images etc. from Scrivener to appear in Pages, without compiling an RTF file, running that through OpenOffice — or NWP if you have it, but if so why bother with Pages ... oh, multi-lingual hyphenation ;) — to export as binary .doc and open that in Pages!

Sealed box, Pages, it seems.

Mark