Special characters & Wingdings

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
rbatra

Special characters & Wingdings

Post by rbatra »

How do I use the Wingdings font with Nisus Writer Express? If I set Wingdings as the font and type any key, NSE complains that the character I selected was not found in the font WingDings. On the other hand, the Apple Character Viewer doesn't seem to show any of the Wingdings characters.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Special characters & Wingdings

Post by martin »

Using Wingding characters in OSX applications (Nisus Writer included) isn't especially straight forward. Here's what to do:

1. Bring up Apple's Fonts panel (use the menu Format > Fonts > Show Fonts).
2. Choose the Wingdings font from the listing (this applies Wingdings in the open document).
3. From the bottom of the font panel, click the "gear" button to show its popup menu and select "Characters..." to show Apple's Characters panel.
4. From the Characters panel, set the "View" to "Glyph".
5. In the glyph catalog area, make sure Wingdings is selected.
6. Now select the glyph/character you'd like to insert and click "Insert with Font". You should see the character appear in the active document.

If there are particular glyphs you use often, you might consider adding them to the favorites section. Or add abbreviations for them in your Nisus Writer glossaries.

I hope that helps.
rbatra

Re: Special characters & Wingdings

Post by rbatra »

Whooof!

Thanks. It worked.