Import of Word Documents, tracking, table of contents &

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
delcorp

Import of Word Documents, tracking, table of contents &

Post by delcorp »

Is there any way to track changes and check tracked changes of word documents. Also can you generate a table of contents.
I have tried to import my letterhead from word but my graphic does not appear to import.
Also any way to place comments in document?

As a lawyer, the program speed is fantastic and is ability to handle large documents excellent but the above list of features are essentail to my business. I would like to use the program through my offices having in years gone by used Nisus Writer. Any help, plug in or fixes would be apreciated.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Import of Word Documents, tracking, table of contents &a

Post by martin »

delcorp wrote:Is there any way to track changes and check tracked changes of word documents. Also can you generate a table of contents.
I have tried to import my letterhead from word but my graphic does not appear to import.
Also any way to place comments in document?
I'm sorry to say that all these features (track changes, table of contents, and comments) are not yet available in Nisus Writer Express. Also, while we do handle graphics, we do not support floating graphics. That is likely the reason your letterhead is not appearing properly.
Bob Stern

Re: Import of Word Documents, tracking, table of contents &a

Post by Bob Stern »

delcorp wrote:I have tried to import my letterhead from word but my graphic does not appear to import.
Try copy and paste.

If that doesn't work, try opening the Word document in NWE and then copy/paste the logo from that to a blank Nisus document.

Cumbersome alternative:
Print your Nisus document to PDF, then use either PDFPen or the Watermark feature of Adobe Acrobat (full version, not freeware) to superimpose your logo. PDFPen probably is easier. Acrobat may require converting logo from opaque to transparent (transparency type "darken") in a graphics program such as Adobe Illustrator.

Low tech solution:
Like in the old days, print a bunch of paper with just your logo!
wlafi

Re: Import of Word Documents, tracking, table of contents &

Post by wlafi »

I'm sorry to say that all these features (track changes, table of contents, and comments) are not yet available in Nisus Writer Express.
Well, this was five years ago and in the meantime there is a comment function in Nisus which really works fine. But the missing change tracking makes me consider to switch back to Word, however much I hate it.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Import of Word Documents, tracking, table of contents &

Post by martin »

Just to let you know, Nisus Writer Pro 2.0 now supports track changes and floating shapes/graphics. Pro version 1.4 already supported tables of contents and comments. We have no plans to add these features to Express, since they're more "Pro" tools.