Footnotes after Hebrew text

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Targuman

Footnotes after Hebrew text

Post by Targuman »

I have run into an odd repeatable problem.
* Writing in English include Hebrew text in parens (למשל)
* Add a footnote after the parens
* End up with (1(למשל

See the image.

I searched the forum but did not see this problem reported. Anyone else find this to happen?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Footnotes after Hebrew text

Post by martin »

This has to do with the Unicode layout rules. You'll want to insert a left-to-right marker after the close parenthesis and before footnote reference. You can insert such a marker using the menu Insert > Directionality Marker > Left to Right Marker.
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

Excellent! Thank you Martin. Is this documented somewhere or something that you all will try and automate/fix?
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Targuman wrote:I have run into an odd repeatable problem.
* Writing in English include Hebrew text in parens (למשל)
* Add a footnote after the parens
* End up with (1(למשל

See the image.

I searched the forum but did not see this problem reported. Anyone else find this to happen?
Looking at your screenshot, it would seem to me that this might not be something that needs fixing. If you look at the two parentheses, they are not the same size ... in LTR order, the first parenthesis is bigger, so presumably a Hebrew one, whereas the second was typed while you were typing English and is smaller — i.e. it was the first one typed. So what you have got is Hebrew close-parenthesis, English footnote mark, English open-parenthesis, Hebrew text. Note, the footnote mark follows the close-parenthesis as it should.

I would presume that if you had switched back to English before typing the second parenthesis, it would presumably have appeared at the right hand end of the string as going back to English — as I understand it — should switch direction automatically, and you'd get an English close-parenthesis followed by the footnote mark as normal.

I stand open to correction, as I'm not an LTR language user, but I occasionally suffer from weird punctuation spacing as a CKJ user, when I forget to switch back to English before typing the punctuation.

Mark
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

Mark - The parens started out the same and are both English fonts. I am absolutely certain of this. I type in Hebrew, switch back to English and close parens, just as you describe, and it happens every time.
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

martin wrote:This has to do with the Unicode layout rules. You'll want to insert a left-to-right marker after the close parenthesis and before footnote reference. You can insert such a marker using the menu Insert > Directionality Marker > Left to Right Marker.
Martin - is there a way to set up a character style or something similar so that I can use a single key command to switch back to English AND change the directional marker? As Mark intimates, I would have expected that to happen automatically when I changed languages.
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

It is the same behavior with me, when the main direction of the section is LTR.
It should relatively easy to set a macro with a keyboard shortcut, that will serve as your "hebrew" close parens. (combined with the directionality marker)
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Targuman, Mark, and Ruchama (and others paying attention to this thread),

I'm pretty sure this issue is explored in the Nisus Writer Pro 2.0 User's Guide on page 33:
Mix right to left and left to right text... some common errors and fixes
If not, we'll have to add this particular instance to the "common".

At the same time, I like the idea of a macro inserting the directional marker. Maybe one of the "macro masters" can work something up.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

It is ages since I have edited macros, but I attach here a primitive one. it worked for me. see if it does the trick for you.
download the file, open it in Nisus, save as perl macro.
then, instead of typing 'right paren.' invoke this macro. you can set a keyboard shortcut to it.
Feel free (everyone) to correct..
Attachments
rightpar.rtf
(17.85 KiB) Downloaded 586 times
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

Thank you Mark and Ruchama!