Crashing on initial save in Lion

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
JapanRich

Crashing on initial save in Lion

Post by JapanRich »

Pro has been crashing on the initial save in Lion 9 times out of 10 for me, so I know not to put any work into an Untitled document if I don't want to lose it. On a MacBook Air 11" so the program is quick to start up again. Sometimes the file name has been saved. 9 times out of 10 there is no Recover dialogue.

Is it only me? If so, what other information do I need to give about my setup?

Japan Rich
JapanRich

Re: Crashing on initial save in Lion

Post by JapanRich »

Could there be a conflict with Default Folder?
JHB

Post by JHB »

I doubt that it's a conflict with Default Folder, as long as you're up to date with it. I'm running NWP 2.0.1 and DF 4.4.4 on Lion 10.7.1, and it is working just fine for me.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

What version of NWP are you using? If it's not 2.0.1 you should update, as that might explain the crash. If you are using 2.0.1 and it's still crashing, then please relaunch NWP after a crash and use the menu Help > Send Feedback.
JapanRich

Post by JapanRich »

Naturally I had upgraded to Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.1. But I found that I was using Default Folder 4.4.3. I have just upgraded to 4.4.4. Will let you know if I can reproduce the error. The problem is that in the Help > Send Feedback within Nisus it prompts you to send a file to help in the troubleshooting, but when the file I am trying to save doesn't get saved on a crash (which is part of the problem), there is no file to send. Kind of a Catch-22, eh?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Submitting a feedback report, even without the file, will be useful here. When NWP crashes the system automatically logs the crash to disk, which the feedback reporter will automatically collect. We might be able to diagnose the issue without the actual file that caused the crash. Thanks for your help.
JapanRich

Post by JapanRich »

The upgrade to Default Folder 4.4.4 seems to have completely eliminated the crashing problem!

Many thanks for your attention to this! :)
robertb

Post by robertb »

Hate to sound naive, but what's this stuff about default folder 4.4.3 and 4.4.4? I've been using Nisus for a while and haven't heard of them.

Robert Blade, Jacksonville, Florida
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Don't feel bad Robert, Default Folder isn't something Nisus makes or something that is part of OSX itself. It's a totally separate product made by a different company.
robertb

Post by robertb »

Thanks for the note and link, Martin. It's odd, though. I follow Mac technology fairly well and had not come across it before.

Robert Blade
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

First of all, thanks for solving the problem for me before I had to complain about it...
I have just switched to Lion, so this is one problem solved before it is a problem, if you see what I mean.
I have updated Default Folder to 4.4.4.
I find Default Folder very useful to keep my favorite folders at my fingertips, to create folders any time anywhere without having to do complicated switches. Anyway I have had it since we went from OS 9 to OS X, and it has been very useful. I think you can try it before you buy it, Robert.
Anne
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm glad the problem is solved. All the same, JapanRich, could you please still submit a feedback report? With luck that will capture the crash log from some days back. I'm curious to see what the crash looks like; it may help me diagnose the problem in the future for other customers. Thank you!