opening word documents

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
carouseldesign

opening word documents

Post by carouseldesign »

Hi, I've just downloaded the trial version of Nisus Writer Express 3.4 and it seems excellent except that I cant open word documents. All I get is a jumble of letters!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: opening word documents

Post by martin »

It may be that there's something wrong with the file itself, or perhaps an issue with our importer. Could you send us one of these problematic Word documents? Thanks!
carouseldesign

Post by carouseldesign »

It happens with all our word documents but I'm attaching a couple of different ones. Thanks.
Attachments
Nisus Test 2.doc
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
Nisus Test 1.docx
(17.74 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for posting the example files. However, I just tested in Express 3.4 and they open just fine (no gibberish, and with formatting intact).

Express 3.4 does rely upon OSX to import .doc/.docx files, so I wonder, what version of OSX are you using?
carouseldesign

Post by carouseldesign »

OSX 10.4.11

Also, I cant get the preferences to change to English UK. Is this because its just the trial version?

Thanks
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

carouseldesign wrote:OSX 10.4.11
Ah, that's the cause of your troubles. As mentioned in the feature listing, Express requires OSX 10.5 or later to import .docx files. However .doc files should be imported on OSX 10.4, so that seens like a problem we'll have to look into.

In the meantime, I might recommend Express version 3.3.2 which does not have this issue with .doc files (though it still won't open .docx files on OSX 10.4), or use Nisus Writer Pro which does not rely upon OSX for either .doc/.docx file import (and actually does a better job).
Also, I cant get the preferences to change to English UK. Is this because its just the trial version?
No, there are no limitations in the trial version. I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say you can't get your preferences to English UK. Most likely you're confused as to how languages work in Nisus Writer.

In Nisus Writer languages are like fonts, eg: you apply languages to text. Each bit of text in a document can have a different language applied. So there's no global language preference exactly (though you can set the default language for any new files you create). You'll probably want to read this FAQ entry:

http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3337

Let me know if you have any questions.