A footnote problem (adding dots after the note number)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tnpk2

A footnote problem (adding dots after the note number)

Post by tnpk2 »

In my document some footnote numbers are followed by dots (e.g.: 21. Ibid., p. 234.), but others appear without dots (e.g.: 22 Ibid., p. 534.). I have tried to fix it in Style sheet > footnote style, but it does not work. Please let me know how to fix it.

In addition, can I change the font size of the footnote number only? when I try to do it, the font size of the body of the footnote is changed all together.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: A footnote problem (adding dots after the note number)

Post by martin »

tnpk2 wrote:In my document some footnote numbers are followed by dots (e.g.: 21. Ibid., p. 234.), but others appear without dots (e.g.: 22 Ibid., p. 534.). I have tried to fix it in Style sheet > footnote style, but it does not work. Please let me know how to fix it.
The "default note text" option for note styles only applies to new notes. In other words, when you insert a new note, NWP will set the note's content to the "default note text". After that, changing the option has no effect on existing notes. You'll have to edit them by hand (or use a macro to process them all).
In addition, can I change the font size of the footnote number only? when I try to do it, the font size of the body of the footnote is changed all together.
Yes you can: you'll want to adjust the "Reference Style" of the footnote style. There are two possible reference styles that control the appearance of the reference number in the document text and in the footnote area. These reference styles are just character styles that you may configure/format like any other style. Let me know if you have any questions on that.
goldste4

Post by goldste4 »

Hello,
A while back I had exactly the same problem when I was converting files from Wordperfect into NWP. With Martin's help, I came up with this macro that would automatically add a "." after a note number (and a tab too). If you don't want the tab added, just remove the \t from the line that says "Type Text". Hope the macro helps.
Josh

Code: Select all

# Run Macro from the top of the document
# Current version adds a ‘.’ after the number and then a tab.
While Select Next Note
   If Find '(.*)\s', 'Es$'
      If '.' != $1
         Select Start
         Type Text “.\t”
      End
   End
End
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for posting that Josh! I had a feeling there was a macro for that somewhere..
tnpk2

Post by tnpk2 »

Thank you Martin and Josh for your answers.

Now things seem to be clear. In the meantime, I have adjusted all of the footnotes manually. 850 footnote--took 40 minutes.

As for the 'macro' solution, I will keep it for future.
feat

Post by feat »

goldste4 wrote:Type Text “.\t”
fine, fine... but how do you tell it to get rid of the space that was already there?
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

feat wrote:fine, fine... but how do you tell it to get rid of the space that was already there?
For removing that space (or any other string between note references and note contents), you can try Kino's ApplyDefaultNoteText macro:
http://www2.odn.ne.jp/alt-quinon/files/ ... tendnotes/
feat

Post by feat »

ah, yes: thank you so much!