Reformating with Endnote...

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
threestain

Reformating with Endnote...

Post by threestain »

Dear all,

I know, I'm meant to be using Papers2...

Anyway, when writing with NWP and endnote, once you've formatted the paper, is there anyway to go back? I.e. if you insert the refs, and send it off for comments and get it back with the comments, can you unformat it, fiddle and then reformat? Or do you need to send the non-formated version off?

Thanks,

Tristan
threestain

Re: Reformating with Endnote...

Post by threestain »

seriously? no-one?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Sorry for not replying any sooner here, but it seems that Endnote doesn't provide any way to unformat a document once it's been formatted. Endnote doesn't leave any special markers (eg: like Bookend's RTF field codes) in the formatted RTF that could be used.

It's possible that you could write a macro that looks through the formatted text for the characters Endnote uses. For example, if you have Endnote format using "[1]", "[2]", etc, have the macro look for those bracketed numbers and reinsert the original unformatted citation. But such a macro would be error prone, and highly dependent on the output style you choose in Endnote.
threestain

Post by threestain »

thank you.

does papers' magic manuscripts leave markings?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

threestain wrote:does papers' magic manuscripts leave markings?
Not with NWP. In fact, Papers doesn't appear to support scanning/formatting reference in NWP documents at the end of your writing process at all. You can only insert formatted citations as you write. That is, Papers will format these citations at the exact moment when you insert one into your NWP document. You can't do it all at once at the very end.

Watching the tutorials released by the Papers people, it looks like you can do a full format and un-format if you're using Word (though my testing seems to indicate using the .docx file format is required; RTF is not supported). If you're using Pages, it looks like you can go one way (format all citations at the end), but not the other way (unformat).

Is there any reason you don't want to use Bookends?
threestain

Post by threestain »

from my experience you can do it all at the end, or during. however, once it's done it's impossible to undo!

I'm not going to buy bookends at this stage because I own papers2 and endnote and don't really want to spend another $70+ on another reference manager.

papers2 has really really come into it's own. It is fully possible to not use endnote now. this is a joy.

I cannot see any reason to change to a more expensive version of the same thing. I can use NWP with it, but I have to say if push came to shove...

EDIT Sorry was getting confused - agree only on insert.
threestain

Post by threestain »

how about with the cite key insertion?