Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.2 released

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.2 released

Post by martin »

This version is primarily intended to address a few select issues, including the fixing of a few bugs to improve stability. This update is free for all current license holders of Pro 2.x.

• Download Version 2.0.2.
• Release Notes.

This update can also be downloaded via the menu Nisus Writer Pro > Check For Updates. If you purchased Nisus Writer Pro through the Mac App Store, the update will be available there as soon as it clears Apple's submission process.
feat

Re: Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.2 released

Post by feat »

hmm… 4 successive new releases already, and none of them fixes the terrible image down-sampling issue when rendering to html, even though it was reported several times:
there's a very serious problem with html renditions: images are down-sampled to the point they only vaguely evoke their original counterpart
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 889#p19889
once they are down-sampled to low-resolution jpeg format, they are mangled beyond recognition, just the same as when exported to html
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20171#p20171
it's a shame the original images are systematically down-sampled
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 978#p19978
saving as html is guaranteed to make these images unusable anyway
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 255#p20255
yet, back in 2008, even Martin admitted this was an issue that should be fixed:
martin wrote: it would be nice if HTML (and possibly other formats) export allowed image resolution/color conversion
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13924#p13924
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

feat wrote:hmm… 4 successive new releases already, and none of them fixes the terrible image down-sampling issue when rendering to html
I'm sorry you feel that way, but for most users this is not an issue. Down-sizing images (during HTML export) so they are the same size as the user sees them on screen is intended. For example, most people don't want a huge 1000x1000 image embedded in the export if it only shows on screen as a small 150x150 icon.
feat wrote:yet, back in 2008, even Martin admitted this was an issue that should be fixed:
martin wrote: it would be nice if HTML (and possibly other formats) export allowed image resolution/color conversion
I did agree that giving the user control over image export options "would be nice", but that's far from your characterization of this as a terrible/serious problem. We always want to empower our users to have control over their content, and hopefully we see your desired enhancement added as a feature someday; it would be very nice and useful.
feat

Post by feat »

in fact, I've been fighting with Nisus Writer pdf/html renditions since 2007, even though year after year, problems have been ironed out one by one...

now there are only a few issues left — mainly the rendition of those link-back files, made with OmniGraffle, and dragged directly into the Nisus Writer text window: these are vector graphics which will eventually be converted to jpeg files with a very very poor resolution;

unfortunately, the texts I write are (1) abundantly illustrated, and (2) supposed to undergo constant evolution, reflecting my students' feedback:
  • each week or so, the modified text must be made available on-line, both as pdf and in html format...
  • it means that a given text file will be revised and republished several dozens times a year!
if quality output can't be obtained in both formats in a fully automated way — as when using LATEX — then it's going to be a real pain, because there's only one way to prevent Nisus Writer from exporting the graphics to low-res jpeg these days, and that's substituting, in the source file, the original vector graphics for cheap 72-ppi bitmap renditions...

so this is a trade-off, sort of: either it'll yield a top-notch pdf version with unusable html sh!t, or I'll get a pdf that won't print nicely but the html's graphics will at least be intelligible!

now I've found another [painful] way to get the best of both worlds: once the text has been exported to html, I would patch each href manually to get rid of the low-res jpeg file, and point to a new 300 dpi png file...

I don't know how other people manage to produce high-quality output that doesn't depend on the format, but from the programmer's vantage point, this needs not be much convoluted:
  • either the graphics are already in bitmap format…
    leave them alone
    if some fool didn't really know what he was doing when he embedded a 1000x1000 image, then let him have it his way
  • or they are vector graphics…
    then they should be exported to 300-dpi png format — but scaled down to 25 % to display as 75 dpi
okay: the intended scaling and resolution may vary, and this, obviously, should be adjustable as a user's preference — and that's exactly what I thought was your final conclusion some 3 years ago!
adrian

Post by adrian »

Dear Martin,
I would like to support "feat". He (or She) is not alone with his (or her) task of having to publish constantly new versions of the same documents in two versions, exactly as described by him (or her).

Dear "feat", it would be kind of you adopt a clearly feminine or clearly masculine nickname, or spell a favourite gender, so that lines like the one above are less cumbersome. Thank you. By the way, my gender is masculine. Thank you.
feat

Post by feat »

argh — unfortunately this is no nickname: it's my family name, actually…

and I didn't pick it up as a nickname either: it was assigned by the board program upon registration, and I'm not aware of a way to alter it now, and I feel sorry!

as for my gender, consider I'm a male