Newbie: How to insert text box?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

Newbie: How to insert text box?

Post by NisusUser »

Sorry for another newbie question: Since I'm used to Word for Windows, I'm wondering how to insert a text box. I could find nothing in the manual or forums about it. So I tried inserting a table and making it 1x1. However, I couldn't seem to resize the table to what I wanted. Must be I'm missing something here :)
exegete77

Re: Newbie: How to insert text box?

Post by exegete77 »

On the Toolbar next to the Navigator button (see NWP001).

Click that button: It will tell you to draw the text box anywhere (NWP002)

Completed (NWP003), note that it is anchored to whatever paragraph was selected (far left side).

(Well, my images come out in reverse order, but you get the idea.)
Attachments
NWP003.png
NWP003.png (25.07 KiB) Viewed 15669 times
NWP002.png
NWP002.png (27.43 KiB) Viewed 15669 times
NWP001.png
NWP001.png (36.8 KiB) Viewed 15669 times
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
JLSchweitzer

Post by JLSchweitzer »

Newbie:

I, too, am a newbie but I've figured this one out. Actually there is a lot of information in the manual, starting on page 165 through 185. Even though Nisus calls them Text boxes, they are more generically referred to as shapes. In the later parts of the section there is information on text wrapping. Exegett77 included a screen capture of where the Text Box is on the menu bar. You also use the Shapes Palette to configure how you want the text box to appear, text wrapping, borders, fills, etc. See below.
Shapes Palatte.jpg
Shapes Palatte.jpg (60.43 KiB) Viewed 15663 times
And I don't know if you can "dial in" a specific shape size, such as 1 x 1. You may have to eye-ball it.

Also, I haven't found a way to "copy and paste" a shape if you want to standardize the shape of a particular text box. And one of the cool things you can do with Nisus is copy the attributes of the text box, making it easier if you want to insert several text boxes in your document and have them all look the same.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Thank you, both Exegete77 and JLSchweitzer. That's helpful. My first thought way, "Well, that explains it – I need to customize my toolbar!" However, when I went to try to do that (right click in toolbar), I got what you see in the attached file: no text box icon. That makes me think that since I'm using 1.4.2 maybe something is different than with 2.0. Maybe someone can explain how to insert a text box in 1.4.2?

BTW, I searched the 1.4.2 manual for "text box" and "shapes". For the former, so much comes up that seems totally about something else, that I found nothing. (Seems in Nisusland "text box" must mean a dialog box in which you enter text?) For the latter ("shape" or "shapes"), I also found nothing helpful.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Yes, I am using 2.0 of NWP. It might be worth it (for many features) to upgrade your copy.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Oops. I forgot to attach the screenshot.
Attachments
ScrnCapture 2011-12-01 at 7.12.06 PM.jpg
ScrnCapture 2011-12-01 at 7.12.06 PM.jpg (92.94 KiB) Viewed 15656 times
JLSchweitzer

Post by JLSchweitzer »

Well shiver me timbers. A quick look at the what's new in version 2.0 shows the following:
New in 2.0.jpg
New in 2.0.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 15640 times
I bet this explains why you can't find anything about Text Boxes :D
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Yes, I am using 2.0 of NWP. It might be worth it (for many features) to upgrade your copy.
I had previously test-run 2.0 and liked it. It's excellent software, of course. I just have to find the money for it. Much easier to click on "Finish Transaction" in an e-store than to earn the money you just clicked away :)

Today I re-installed a demo of 2.0.2, and indeed the text box feature is excellent.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

NisusUser wrote: I had previously test-run 2.0 and liked it. It's excellent software, of course. I just have to find the money for it. Much easier to click on "Finish Transaction" in an e-store than to earn the money you just clicked away :)
That;s true, but my experience with Nisus over two decades has been that every upgrade is worth more than its weight in gold! This is especially true of the jump from v.1.4 > v.2. Most other software companies I've had experience with would have done half the improvement for twice the price and called it two levels of upgrade at least, maybe three. :)

Cheers, geoff

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad-Doctor-Online
http://www.ad-doctor-online.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for all the help and information everyone has provided so far!
JLSchweitzer wrote:And I don't know if you can "dial in" a specific shape size, such as 1 x 1. You may have to eye-ball it.
You can set the exact size and position of a text box (or other shape) using the "Shape Metrics" palette.
Also, I haven't found a way to "copy and paste" a shape if you want to standardize the shape of a particular text box.
This is definitely possible. Just click once to select the text box, use the menu Copy (or the venerable keyboard shortcut Command + "C"), and then paste. If you want to anchor the pasted shape elsewhere, you can also select a different bit of document text before pasting.

I wonder, maybe the problem is that you click twice to enter the text box? That would put you in text editing mode, which won't let you copy the text box wholesale. Let me know if you continue to have troubles; we'd like to have this working for you.
JLSchweitzer

Post by JLSchweitzer »

Martin:

I can't seem to figure out how to use the quote feature on this forum to make this reply a little easier to follow. Anyway, the "Shape Metric" palette is at the bottom of the toolbar that I don't normally see it. Initially I was puzzled because I couldn't figure out how to rotate a text box but I stumbled upon Shape Metrics. So after another three weeks, it might have dawned on me that you also use the Shape Metrics to "dial in" specific or exact sizes.

With the copying and pasting, this is simply a case of w-a-y over-thinking how to do this. What I was doing to try and copy and paste was to click on a text box AND THEN RIGHT CLICK; as you know this gives you the option to copy (or paste) the shape appearance which is different from simply "copy and paste."

Thanks!!!
:)
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

JLSchweitzer wrote: I can't seem to figure out how to use the quote feature on this forum to make this reply a little easier to follow.
[...]
:)
It is the button at the top right of the post you want to quote:
quote.gif
quote.gif (11.34 KiB) Viewed 15529 times
(The red exclamation mark at the bottom right is to report that post).
JLSchweitzer

Post by JLSchweitzer »

Hamid wrote: It is the button at the top right of the post you want to quote:
quote.gif
(The red exclamation mark at the bottom right is to report that post).
I went back and looked and there it is clear as day. I kept looking at the options from within my reply. You know, Bold, Italicics, Quote, List, etc.

thanks!!!!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Glad you got copy & paste shapes working. And found the forum quoting options; those forum buttons are pretty small and blend into the background, so I'm not surprised you missed them.
JLSchweitzer

Post by JLSchweitzer »

martin wrote:Glad you got copy & paste shapes working. And found the forum quoting options; those forum buttons are pretty small and blend into the background, so I'm not surprised you missed them.
Martin, you are too kind.