Is this a common problem: freezing?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
cj

Is this a common problem: freezing?

Post by cj »

I tried to send feedback but it didn't work, so I thought I would see if this is a problem for anyone else.

1. Working on a document.
2. Spinning beachball.
3. Massive paging.
4. Must force quit to exit NWX.

I checked my console log and found nothing.

The only thing I think, and I want to stress I am not certain, happened before is that NWX was very sluggish upon working in a document each time this happened. I will observer more closely, though after switching completely to NWX, this has happened to me twice within the last week. It is the unacceptable error in a word processor, and not something I had problems with in Word. I would like to continue to use NWX, but if this behavior continues I will be forced to find another word processor. Stability is the number on requirement for me; nothing else coming close.
croth

Post by croth »

Hello cj,

I don't think you are alone in having NWX block. I have noted numerous cases of the spinning beachball. For me, the situation usually arrives when I try to select and delete a phrase in a document that I have been working on. I don't know if the fault lies with Apple or Nisus but like you, I see a lot of activity, presumably paging. Force quitting and reopening the document usually removes the problem and restarting certainly does correct the problem until the next time.

I hope that version 2 does not have the problem.

Good luck,
Charlie
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hello, cj and croth!

I sent feedback (by e-mail; the feedback mechanism in NWE didn't work for me either) to Nisus a day or two ago regarding the very thing croth did -- that is, selecting and deleting a phrase brought on the spinning beach ball. cj, does this sound like what might have happened to you? I never encountered the problem until now, but it sounds like it's more widespread than just this one incident in my experience.
cj

Post by cj »

I think that is it, selecting text, but I can't seem to duplicate it. It just. . .happens, not very often, but often enough to be frustrating, though not often enough to switch back to Word. I tried the trial of Word 2004, and it was a trial, all right :D

Hopefully, NWX2 will solve the problem. That would be the best bug fix of all.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, cj.

Likewise for me: it happens occasionally, but not usually. If my experience on Sunday is any indication, once it starts happening, it likes to continue happening. I did not try restarting the system as Charlie suggested. Maybe that would have helped.

--Craig
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

Several people have reported this problem to us, but so far we have not tracked down the specific cause for each report. I believe we have fixed the issues that were causing this problem for 2.0. Please let us know if you continue to have crashes like this though!!!

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
mmallett

Post by mmallett »

Having this issue as well. It occurred when I selected, and then attempted to delete some text. Spinning beachball appeared, and basically hammered the whole system: moving in between othere applications was slow and halting.

Hopefully v2.0 nails this.