Copy U.S. English QuickFix list to other language?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

Copy U.S. English QuickFix list to other language?

Post by NisusUser »

Is it possible to copy the U.S. English (or any other) QuickFix list to another language? If so, how? Actually, I don't need the whole list, of course, I'd just like an easy way to move to the other language the graphical "QuickFix-its" such as : - ) [extra spaces added to prevent conversion on forum] to be "QuickFixed" to :)

One reason for this (besides wanting a quicker way) , is that when I try to add that smiley (using PopChar), it comes through as some kind of weird other character (see screenshot). The character added was a smiley in PopChar
Smiley converted to this when added to QuickFix list.png
Smiley converted to this when added to QuickFix list.png (9.05 KiB) Viewed 5863 times
Smiley from PopChar Wingdings-Regular font.png
Smiley from PopChar Wingdings-Regular font.png (18.6 KiB) Viewed 5863 times
NisusUser

Re: Copy U.S. English QuickFix list to other language?

Post by NisusUser »

I failed to make it clear that I'm still using 1.4.2 :(
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Actually what Quickfix really needs is a "All Languages" option. Binding symbols to a language option is not ideal.
philip
JLSchweitzer

Post by JLSchweitzer »

I've learned that the strange character (that sorta looks like a big "W" )is called "LastResort." I too use PopChar and have tried inserting various symbols and have encountered the "LastResort" character. I kept getting this error message but never took the time to read what it actually said. After seeing your post, I went back and actually READ the error message and learned that you can overcome this but assigning a secondary font. After I did this, I was able to add the icons that I was trying to add from PopChar.

I believe the underlying reason why you get the LastResort character is that the font document doesn't have that particular character. In other words, even though PopChar shows the smiley face, the document font doesn't have a smiley face character so it displays the LastResort Character to indicate this.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

phspaelti wrote:Actually what Quickfix really needs is a "All Languages" option. Binding symbols to a language option is not ideal.
Have a global "all languages" QuickFix typo list is a good idea. I'll file it, thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NisusUser wrote:Is it possible to copy the U.S. English (or any other) QuickFix list to another language?
It is possible. All per-language settings, including the QuickFix typo/correction lists, are stored in files on disk. So to clone/copy one language's QuickFix typos, you'll need to edit the appropriate file.

1. Quit NWP if it is running.
2. Find your NWP application support language folder in your home folder. It will be something like:

~/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer/Languages/

3. Find the file for the language whose settings you want to copy. For example, if you want to use your English typo list for French, open the "English - US.nlang" and "French.nlang" files. You should probably backup these files now, before you begin editing them, in case you make a mistake.
4. In that opened file, select and copy the typo list you want to duplicate. That is everything between the "typos" key, to the end of the list, eg:

Code: Select all

<key>typos</key>
		<dict>
			<key>custom</key>
			<dict>
				<key>(c)</key>
				<string>©</string>
				<key>(r)</key>
				<string>®</string>
				<key>yuo</key>
				<string>you</string>
				<key>yuor</key>
				<string>your</string>
			</dict>
			<key>enabled</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
5. Now find that same chunk in your destination language file and replace it by pasting in the typo list you just copied.
6. Save the modified nlang file and relaunch NWP.