Rotated "Page Setup" doesn't stick

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Darren

Rotated "Page Setup" doesn't stick

Post by Darren »

__My printer will only feed envelopes easily if loaded short side first. I set up a file with a return address header. I set Page Setup to a custom #10 envelope in a portrait layout and selected the rotated orientation to rotate it back to upright for typing. Save and print. Works. But when I open the file again it [b]reverts[/b] to a landscape layout and unrotated. So it looks the same. I have to [b]reselect[/b] the portrait from "Paper Size:" popup and the rotated form from the "Orientation:" popup. And it usually forgets the "Format for:" setting. Same behavior even if I save it as a template.
__There is no longer (Nisus 6) a way to rotate the portrait orientation to print the left edge first. I miss that for this application as well.
__Any hints Martin?
__Silly aside: Any way to have indented paragraphs here?

Pro 1.1, OS 10.5.5, Epson SP 3800
Be seeing you
Darren
Progressive Proximity Principle
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Rotated "Page Setup" doesn't stick

Post by martin »

Darren wrote:I set Page Setup to a custom #10 envelope in a portrait layout and selected the rotated orientation to rotate it back to upright for typing. Save and print. Works. But when I open the file again it reverts to a landscape layout and unrotated. So it looks the same. I have to reselect the portrait from "Paper Size:" popup and the rotated form from the "Orientation:" popup.
I might be missing something, because I don't understand how the paper orientation could change and yet the document still look the same. The paper size also changes when you reopen the file? I gave it a try here and didn't have any troubles- perhaps you can send your file to us using the menu Help > Send Feedback?
And it usually forgets the "Format for:" setting. Same behavior even if I save it as a template.
I don't think there's any attempt made to save the "format for" setting, which is essentially the active printer. This may be my ignorance in the matter, but I don't know how the chosen printer should affect the paper layout.
__Silly aside: Any way to have indented paragraphs here?
Not that I'm aware of, sorry.
mrobbins

Post by mrobbins »

Has this issue been resolved? I have the same problem using an HP LaserJet 4MP (with JetDirect print server). The envelope document is set up using the #10 envelope template and the orientation is then selected to print short end first. This setting will not be saved in the RTF document. I am not sure that it can be saved, but it would be nice. Other settings in the Page Setup dialog box, such as Scale, are saved.

Is there any way to rotate text within the RTF document? This would offer a work-around.

-Mike
rpinsky

Post by rpinsky »

Years later, I have the same problem: template or document, I can save the envelope, but Nisus Writer Pro will not save the "Page Setup" for #10 envelope. The file reverts to "US Letter" . . . so unless I remember, every time, to go through the extra steps of "Page Setup" and changing from "US Letter" to #10 document . . . I have wasted time and an envelope

(Mac OS Lion, HP LasterJet 3055/
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

rpinsky wrote:I have the same problem: template or document, I can save the envelope, but Nisus Writer Pro will not save the "Page Setup" for #10 envelope. The file reverts to "US Letter"
When you open the template for editing did you make sure you uncheck the "Open As New File" option? If that checks out, perhaps you can send us the template in question so we can have a look? Also, are you trying to edit the Nisus New File, or some other template?
rpinsky

Post by rpinsky »

Yes, "Open as New File" is unchecked. When I save with Page Setup as "#10 Envelope," exit and then re-open, the onscreen image looks like an envelope, but the paper time under Page Setup is "Letter." File attached.

Thanks for the attention to this.
Attachments
env.zrtf
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
rpinsky

Post by rpinsky »

Whoops: attachment:
Attachments
env.zrtf
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
rpinsky

Post by rpinsky »

Sorry, twice I neglected to load the .dot version. Here it is.
Attachments
env.dot
(6.63 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
env.dot
(6.63 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the sample file.
rpinsky wrote:When I save with Page Setup as "#10 Envelope," exit and then re-open, the onscreen image looks like an envelope, but the paper time under Page Setup is "Letter."
That's not quite what I'm seeing over here. When I open your file and check the page setup, the paper size itself is correct though not properly labeled/named:
pagesetup.png
pagesetup.png (19.52 KiB) Viewed 11750 times
The measurements are correct for a #10 envelope, but the width and height have been swapped and orientation flipped. Is this not what you are seeing? Have your paper measurements actually changed (beyond the confusing swap/flip)?

Well, the settings I observe here effectively produce the same output when making a PDF/printout, but this still looks like a bug. Your paper label/name should not be lost, nor flipped in such a confusing manor. I'll file it as something that needs fixing.
rpinsky

Post by rpinsky »

Nope--that's not what I get. On my system (OSX 10.7.3, HP 3055 all-in-one laserjet, it simply reverts to "US Letter" no matter how I try to save it with "Envelope #10."

Annoying.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

A complete loss/reversion of the paper size is quite annoying, I'm sorry for that. I'm not sure what would account for the difference in our experiences, but I'll have us test this on a few more machines.

What happens if you set the paper size to #10 Envelope but choose the other paper orientation, eg: landscape vs portrait. Does that keep the paper size intact upon reloading the file, even if the orientation is not what you want?
rpinsky

Post by rpinsky »

Or let's take a different approach: what is the best way to print #10 envelopes in Nisus Writer Pro?

(One work around is to "Print" out of Address Book, and design a couple of envelopes there.)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm actually not sure what other solutions to offer you. I actually wasn't aware one could print directly from the Address Book.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I'll ask my colleagues as well and let you know if we come up with anything, besides waiting for a bug fix.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

I recently found a widget that allows you to print to envelopes. Worked well when I used it.

Easy Envelopes

Review of Easy Envelopes
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
rpinsky

Post by rpinsky »

Thank you, Exegete! The Easy Envelope widget does work.

(Though I'm still surprised, and disappointed, that Nisus Writer Pro doesn't provide an effective way to print envelopes-- seems basic.)