Associate a paragraph style with a page break

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ianpiper

Associate a paragraph style with a page break

Post by ianpiper »

Hi,

I have hit a bump with my download of NWP. I have been very favourably impressed with the product so far. However, I want to be able to put a page break before various styles (such as Chapter breaks in a technical book). I will need quite a few of these, and didn't really want to have to work through manually. Is it possible to include a page break in a style definition? I'm almost ready to make that buying decision...

Thanks,

Ian.
--
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Associate a paragraph style with a page break

Post by martin »

Hi Ian- I'm glad to hear that you're liking NWP thus far. Unfortunately the feature you asked about, having paragraph styles automatically enforce page breaks, is not available. You'll have to insert the breaks manually I'm afraid.

To aid in that task, you might want to use NWP's menu Format > Paragraph Style > Select Next In Same Style to work your way through the document. That command is also available from the paragraph style tag (the little blue ¶ icon at the bottom-right of every document window); if you click that icon a contextual menu will show.

Actually, this is something that a macro could help with. I'm attaching a macro that inserts a page break before every paragraph that uses a particular paragraph style (the macro picks up the paragraph style of the selected text). I hope this helps.
Attachments
Ensure Breaks Before Paragraph Style.nwm
(21.73 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
ianpiper

Post by ianpiper »

Thank you for that rapid response! I will try this out asap. I really don't want to be lumbered with Word any longer, and sadly Pages is not working out for technical documentation. I really need a reliable tool for big documents for a number of book projects that I am working on, and it would be nice if Nisus were to be that tool.

Regards,

Ian.
--
ianpiper

Post by ianpiper »

Thanks for the macro - that worked well, and it's good to see a fairly capable macro language. This has persuaded me to buy the product.

It would still be good to have the capability of having "Page break before" as an option in a paragraph style, so could you please record this as a feature request (or point me somewhere where I can do that for myself!)?

Regards,

Ian.
--
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Happy to help- I'm glad the macro did the trick!
ianpiper wrote:It would still be good to have the capability of having "Page break before" as an option in a paragraph style, so could you please record this as a feature request (or point me somewhere where I can do that for myself!)?
Consider the feature request noted. We actually have it filed away already, but I've added your "vote".