Numbered paragraphs as a paragraph style

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Hank

Numbered paragraphs as a paragraph style

Post by Hank »

Hello

I was going to use NWP to write reports. Those reports are characterised by numbered paragraphs, sequentially throughout the document. Those paragraphs are sometimes separated by level 1, 2 and 3 headings, which are not numbered.

The format goes something like this.

Level 1 heading

[1] The jopmpmapseporael;amv////....

[2] Firnindingiosn; asod sdg sdflm etc

Level 1 heading

level 2 heading

[3] nakda etjeoiw jfa dsf/

However, it seems that it is not possible to have numbered paragraphs as a paragraph style. Whilst one can make a list style of this nature, such a style is not sufficient. I need a paragraph style which can be set up to automatically follow on from a heading 1, 2 or 3, that is based on the normal style and that is the default style for documents of this nature. List styles apparently cannot function in this way and numbered paragraphs can only be a list style.

I've been using MS Word for many years and can do this in word. For various reasons, I wanted to use another word processing package and NWP seemed to meet most of my needs. But this problem is a dealbreaker.

The document also contains unnumbered paragraphs, such as quotations that are part of another numbered paragraph.

In addition, it seems impossible to set up a list style where the number begins at the left margin, followed by an indent of about 30 mm, with the next and subsequent lines returning to the left margin. But that might be due to my lack of knowledge of NWP (I purchased it only a few days ago).

Please advise

Hank
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Numbered paragraphs as a paragraph style

Post by martin »

Hello Hank- welcome to the forum, and to Nisus Writer in general.
Hank wrote:However, it seems that it is not possible to have numbered paragraphs as a paragraph style. Whilst one can make a list style of this nature, such a style is not sufficient. I need a paragraph style which can be set up to automatically follow on from a heading 1, 2 or 3, that is based on the normal style and that is the default style for documents of this nature.
What you'd like to do is possible, you're just missing one key detail: list styles can be enforced by paragraph styles. So, what you want to do is select a paragraph style (in our Style Sheet view) and apply the list style you'd like all paragraphs marked in that paragraph style to have. You can of course have this paragraph style enforce other formatting as well, eg: fonts, rulers, TOC, etc.
In addition, it seems impossible to set up a list style where the number begins at the left margin, followed by an indent of about 30 mm, with the next and subsequent lines returning to the left margin.
This also isn't too difficult, but again you'll need to involve a paragraph style (or manually adjust the ruler for paragraphs marked with the list style, but that's not recommended if you intend to use styles consistently). Basically you'll want to configure your paragraph style so it enforces the desired list style and whatever (hanging) indents and tab stops you'd like. I'll attach an example document here.

I hope that helps- let us know if you have any questions.
Attachments
indents.zrtf
(2.99 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Hank

Post by Hank »

8) I'm impressed Martin.

Thank you for your assistance. The key is, as you say, enforcing the list style in a paragraph style. That process is quite new to me.

However, I have that part all sorted and I must say that I am impressed by the flexibility of NWP and by your assistance.

I'm still learning about styles and linking them to templates, but this is just a question of practice.

I look forward to learning more about what I can do with NWP. And to not using MS Word. It's a learning curve after using MS Word since the late 1980s.

Thank again. I'll be in contact when I can't figure something and can't find out from others in the FAQs or the forum.

Best wishes

Hank
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Great Hank- we're happy hear that, and glad to help! Please let us know if you run into any other difficulties.