Problem with right tab in footer

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Apuleius

Problem with right tab in footer

Post by Apuleius »

Hello,

I need a footer with a some left-aligned text (like chapter title) and on the right side (right-aligned) the page number.
So I found out that I have to set a right tab, no problem. The problem is that I want this tab to really be at the right margin. In the normal text area this works as I want it but if I place the right tab in the footer exactly at the right margin, the page number will end up a line lower instead.
What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Apuleius
goldste4

Re: Problem with right tab in footer

Post by goldste4 »

Hi Apuleius,

I have exactly the same problem. I have no solution, but the work around (that I use anyway) is to move the right-align tab to the left very slightly so that it does not quite sit on the right margin but a fraction in. In most situations, you cannot tell that the page numbers (or whatever) are not quite right-aligned.

Josh
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I just tried to reproduce the problem, but didn't have any luck- could either of you send me a document where the number in the header wraps to the next line unexpectedly? Thanks for your help.

Well, setting the tab ever so slightly to the left sounds like it would work (thanks for the idea Josh), but you shouldn't have to resort to that trick.
goldste4

Post by goldste4 »

Hi Martin, just sent in my file (it has happened on every file that I have created). Thanks, Josh
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the file Josh. You're always super quick and so helpful- we really appreciate that!

In looking at the file, it seems the font is a factor. For some reason Adobe Garamond triggers the problem. If you switch to Times, Tahoma, Palatino, Hiragino, etc, the problem does not reproduce. It seems Adobe Caslon also triggers the issues, so maybe there's something about Adobe's font metrics that are confusing the text engine. We'll have to investigate more to be sure.

Apuleius: what font are you using?
Apuleius

Post by Apuleius »

Hi Martin,
I'm using Minion Pro. However I just tried again and this time everything is ok! I'm really perplexed, last time I really couldn't get it to work!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thank you for the information Apuleius. I was able to reproduce the problem with "Minion Pro" too.

Interestingly I am no longer able to reproduce the issue with Adobe Garamond or Caslon! More investigation is clearly needed by us, thanks.