2 footnote fonts?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
soliphint

2 footnote fonts?

Post by soliphint »

I have a ms. that is completed, including footnotes, and now I have to add footnotes to it, but in a different font. How do I set Nisus so that I can have 2 different fonts in the footnotes? Thank you.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: 2 footnote fonts?

Post by martin »

You can only have one proper "Footnote" note style per document, but there are other ways to achieve your goal, depending on what you're after exactly. It sounds like you want to apply another font to entire footnotes- is that correct? If so, I would apply a paragraph style on top of the footnotes you want to have a different font (footnotes can have both a note style and a paragraph style applied at once). You might even base your "Footnote" note style and this alternate paragraph style on a common paragraph style that enforces formatting that should be present in both kinds of footnotes. I'll attach an example that illustrates.

Let me know if that helps, or if I misunderstood what you're hoping to achieve.
Attachments
notes.zrtf
(14.93 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Thank you. Unfortunately, I have to have 2 different fonts for all footnotes. So, the original footnotes that came with the ms. have one font, and the footnotes that I add have another font. I am assuming that is not possible to do?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean exactly.

It's easy enough to apply a font or character style to parts of a single footnote as you please, eg: a single footnote could have two fonts applied to different parts of it. You just have to select the text/footnote you want to change, and then apply the desired font or style.

Or, if you want all currently existing footnotes to have one single font, but all subsequently added footnotes to have another font, you could:
1. Select any part of an existing footnote.
2. Use the menu/command "Select All", which selects all footnotes in the entire document.
3. Apply a particular font/style (the one you'd like for all selected/existing footnotes).

Now whenever you insert a new footnote, that note will use the font of just your Footnote style (and not the font you applied in step 3). If you adjust the font used by your Footnote style later, the font you applied manually in step 3 won't change for those old notes, but will change for notes you inserted later.

I hope this helps. If I'm still misunderstanding you, it might help if you attach a sample file that shows what you're after exactly.
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Thanks, Martin, that will probably work. The situation is that I have a completed book, with footnotes, which I have been asked to contribute comments, etc. by way of my own footnotes. So, for example, at the bottom of a given page will be the original footnotes that were a part of the original book, as well as my own comments, etc. The footnotes will be distinguished by 2 different fonts. I think your method will probably accomplish what I need. Thanks again for the help. I'll write as the project progresses if there are problems I haven't anticipated. Thanks again.
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

OK. I have the document, complete with its original footnotes. It was brought over from a "Save As .rtf" doc in Word. Along with it, came some styles. The style I need is included, but I do not know how to now make it the "Default" footnote style for this document. How do I go about changing the style of the footnote so that the originals remain the way they are, but all footnotes that I now add will take on the new style? I also have to begin every footnote, after the number, with my initials. Is that something that can be inserted into the style so that it is part of the new default footnote style? Thank you again.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

soliphint wrote:The style I need is included, but I do not know how to now make it the "Default" footnote style for this document.
All footnotes in a document will by default already have the "Footnote" note style applied. It's something that's automatically done by Nisus Writer.
How do I go about changing the style of the footnote so that the originals remain the way they are, but all footnotes that I now add will take on the new style? I also have to begin every footnote, after the number, with my initials. Is that something that can be inserted into the style so that it is part of the new default footnote style?
This is indeed possible using the footnote style: you can change the "default note text" property from a period and a space ". " to that plus your initials, eg: ". ABC ". After that all new footnotes you insert will start their existence with that special default text.

But you know, this is somewhat bending the style system to accomplish what might be more easily done through macros. I'm attaching a macro here with the following code:

Code: Select all

Menu 'Insert:Footnote'
Menu 'Paragraph Style:Block Quote'
Type Text 'ABC '
As you might be able to see from the code, the macro simply inserts a footnote, applies a special paragraph style, and then inserts some initials. You can edit the macro to change both the paragraph style name and initials the macro uses. Macros can also be assigned keyboard shortcuts (via NWP's preferences).

I hope this helps- let me know if you have any questions.
Attachments
Insert Footnote with Initials.nwm
(18.06 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Martin,

Thanks for your help. Because I'm a style neophyte, I have to go back to the beginning question. I have a document with original footnotes that need to stay with their original format. I have selected them all and made them uniform.

Now, I need to be able to add new footnotes in a different format. The doc I have came over from Word, and I have copied the footnote style that I have been asked to use (see screenshot). Now I don't know how to make this the new, default style for all added footnotes, and to include my initials in every footnote. So, according to the style on the screenshot, the new footnotes will need to be in Verdana 14, and to have my initials at the beginning of each footnote text. I just don't know how to make that happen in this Nisus document. Can you tell me what steps to take to make this style the new default for all new footnotes? Thank you.
Attachments
Screen shot of footnote style brought over from the Word doc. Initials need to be added to every new footnote text.
Screen shot of footnote style brought over from the Word doc. Initials need to be added to every new footnote text.
Screen Shot 2012-06-28 at 7.18.39 AM.jpg (79.96 KiB) Viewed 7969 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

soliphint wrote:Now, I need to be able to add new footnotes in a different format. The doc I have came over from Word, and I have copied the footnote style that I have been asked to use (see screenshot). Now I don't know how to make this the new, default style for all added footnotes, and to include my initials in every footnote. So, according to the style on the screenshot, the new footnotes will need to be in Verdana 14, and to have my initials at the beginning of each footnote text. I just don't know how to make that happen in this Nisus document. Can you tell me what steps to take to make this style the new default for all new footnotes? Thank you.
So technically speaking the style in your screenshot is not a Note style, it's just a Paragraph style. In Nisus Writer document's there's only one Note style (typically named "Footnote") that is applied to all footnotes. This style is always enforced for all footnotes, regardless of when they were created, and cannot be removed (because it also controls things like note numbering, heights, etc).

So, technically what you want to achieve is that new footnotes you insert have both the "Footnote" Note style applied (which happens automatically), plus your "a.FootnoteScott" paragraph style. You also want to insert your initials as the default text. As mentioned before, this is most easily done via a macro, which would be amended to:

Code: Select all

Menu 'Insert:Footnote'
Menu 'Paragraph Style:a.FootnoteScott'
Type Text 'SCOTT '
We could do this without the macro, but it would be more convoluted. If you'd like me to go over that option, or have any other questions, please let me know.