NWP on 10.8 locks up when trying to create a style

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
mwdiers

NWP on 10.8 locks up when trying to create a style

Post by mwdiers »

I reported this in a thread on the rMBP, but since this seems to be a bigger issue than I thought at first, I will post it in its own thread.

I am running 10.8 GM (I have a dev account). Nisus Writer Pro locks up, with 100% on a CPU core, whenever you try to create a new style, whether from scratch, or from a selection. It also locks up when double-clicking on a style.

My post on the other thread has an attachment with an Activity Monitor sample of NWP, during the lockup: http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22734#p22734

And yes, this is on an rMBP.
mwdiers

Re: NWP on 10.8 locks up when trying to create a style

Post by mwdiers »

More information.

In experimenting with various documents, I can now reproduce the crash repeatedly.

Make a new blank US Letter document. Set your margins to .5" on all sides.

The style editor works fine.

Now change the Inside or Outside margin to .4"

If it doesn't crash right away, then try to open the style editor and it will crash.

If the inner and outer margins total less than 1", the crash always happens. Other combinations also can trigger it. I noticed it with .5 Inside and .6 outside. So whatever it is, it's related to page margins.
Bob Stern

Bug Reporting

Post by Bob Stern »

To ensure that Nisus enters your report as an official bug, you should submit your bug description using the Send Feedback command in the Help menu of NWP.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This is indeed an issue when running NWP 2.0.2 (and under) with certain paper margins on OSX 10.8; thanks for posting about it.

The problem is that 10.8 is stricter about the size of certain on-screen elements, likely to facilitate Apple's retina enhancements. The new stricter policies affect some sizes requested by NWP. Because sizes change unexpectedly, NWP thinks it has to adjust some related element element positions/sizes, which can in turn trigger the same reaction, causing NWP to enter an infinite loop (ie: lock up / hang).

This is something we have already fixed for our forthcoming update, which should be available within a few days. Sorry for the frustration in the meantime.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We've just made available Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.3, which resolved all known issues with OSX 10.8, including this one.