Hello World, I'm back !

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Francois_75015

Hello World, I'm back !

Post by Francois_75015 »

Hello everyone,

This is my 1st message, so I would like to say hello to the community.

Years ago i used to use Nisus 3.0 on a Mac SE/30. Nisus helped me to write down all my post graduate memos. It was a great pleasure to use it daily....

Right now I use a PC with Linux on it (Mandrake 10) and Open Office. I have a great project : I am just starting a doctorate (in technology sociology)...It means that I will have to write down at least 300 pages f texts, tables, bibliography...and I said to myself : it is a occasion to turn back to the mac and Nisus.

As I saw the brand new iMac G5 yesterday at Apple Expo (yes, I live in Paris ;-) ), I just pre-ordered one. And now, I need a Copy of Nisus Express to write down my thesis.

I know Nisus Express is the best Word Processor ever. So my question is : does the CD version comes with full user manual (like the one of Nisus 3) or just a "leaflet like" ?

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Francois
Francois - from Paris

I bought an iMac G5 just for using Nisus Express ;)
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, Francois, and welcome! I downloaded Nisus Writer Express, so I do not know what kind of documentation comes with the CD.

I did want to say that Nisus Writer Express does not have the same file format as older versions of Nisus Writer. I'd recommend that you read the Nisus Writer Express FAQ, especially the section on Nisus Writer Classic issues.

This is not to scare you off of Nisus Writer Express, just to make sure you're aware of this. I think NWE is a gorgeous program with a fine pedigree and a lot of potential. I did not use Nisus Writer Classic, so I don't know personally what compatibility issues there might be.

If you no longer have your old copy of Nisus Writer and need something to get at your old material until Nisus Writer Express can import everything flawlessly, Nisus Writer Classic is still available, and there's even a free demo.

--Craig
Francois_75015

Post by Francois_75015 »

Thanks Craig for your information.

Just to say that I do not have any Nisus "classic" files (I nw use OpenOffice, that file format is xml-compatible).

F
Francois - from Paris

cchapin

Re: Hello World, I'm back !

Post by cchapin »

Ah, I misinterpreted what you wrote and jumped to the wrong conclusion. Not the first time I've done that on this forum, unfortunately.

Anyway, welcome back to Nisus. I hope someone else here can answer your question.

--Craig
Francois_75015

Post by Francois_75015 »

OK Craig, welcome to the brave new world of internet forums ! :lol:

Thanks for your help.

My question is still pending :

Does Nisus Writer Express (CD Version) comes with a real manual ( I mean a 300 pages printed book or something equivalent) ? Or does it come with a "welcome tour" leafleat ?

This is cruxial to me as Writer Express is a reamly powerful word processor. If the doc is a real bible, it is worth buying it...

Francois
Francois - from Paris

cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hello, Francois.

I can't directly answer your question about whether a physical user guide comes with the CD. Since I downloaded the program and the PDF user guide, I can say that the PDF user guide is 136 pages. You can take a look at it yourself if you like. It's on this page under "Useful Links" on the left.

None of us mere users know what the 2.0 user guide will be like.

Can anyone else tell Francois definitely about the physical user guide?

--Craig
Francois_75015

Post by Francois_75015 »

Thnks for the link. I saw it before and noticed that it gives a ".dmg" that is totally useless unless you use a Mac OS X system

F
Francois - from Paris

cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Francois, are you interested in getting the PDF user guide via e-mail? It's about 8 MB.

Though it's a bit too long to paste in here, I could easily send you the table of contents as a text, rich text or OOo Writer file -- if that would help answer any of your questions about what's included in the user guide.

Still your main question is whether the CD version comes with a printed manual. Does anyone out there know?

--Craig
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Dear Francois,

I know you are still waiting for a reply regarding whether a hard copy of the user guide comes with the Nisus Writer Express CD. I still do not have an answer to that question, but I wanted to update an earlier comment I made. I had said that the NWE user guide had 136 pages. Now that version 2 is available, I should say that the user guide (which I have as a PDF file) has 194 pages. So it's more than a booklet.

Does anyone know whether the Nisus Writer Express CD comes with a printed user guide?

--Craig
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

CD orders do not include a printed manual. However, a PDF manual is available that is about 180 pages. Also, the entire manual comes with the application as online help files.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
arjay

Post by arjay »

Francois,

That brings back many memories! I too had a Mac SE-30 and used Nisus for many years. Welcome back!

Nisus Writer Express 2.0 is very much a different experience, as you will soon see.

Bob