.doc files and footnotes

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
carolynd

.doc files and footnotes

Post by carolynd »

Hi--it appears this issue has been addressed a few times before, but I haven't yet identified an answer to the question. I have several .doc files with footnotes that I'd like to work with in NWE, but when I open them in NWE the footnotes are not connected to their texts but rather appear in a list at the end of the document. Is there a way I can import a document with already-existing footnotes into NWE?
Hamid

Re: .doc files and footnotes

Post by Hamid »

It may be that your import filters need to be set correctly to give a more complete import.
Set the filters to LibreOffice from NWE Preferences=>Advanced:
ImportFilters.gif
ImportFilters.gif (34.89 KiB) Viewed 15277 times
carolynd

Post by carolynd »

Thanks Hamid--these options are grayed out in my dialog box. How can I get access to them?
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

The image in my post is of NWP 2.0.4.
I am assuming that it is very similar in the latest version of NWE
In any case, NWE does have:
Microsoft Word ".doc" (97-2004), import and export, while DOCX, import-only is limited and requires [at least] Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard)
according to http://nisus.com/pro/comparison.php
carolynd

Post by carolynd »

The screen in my dialog looks exactly like the image you posted, it's just that the boxes within the red border on your image are grayed out, and read 'Mac OSX (faster)' with no access to a pulldown menu.

The files I'd like to use are all .doc, not .docx. My OS is 10.6.8.

If there's no way to import these .doc files with their footnotes intact, this may not be the software for me.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for your help Hamid, but in this case Nisus Writer Express is slightly different than Nisus Writer Pro.

Nisus Writer Express will only import .doc files using the OSX importer, which does not import footnotes as proper note reference/text combinations, but only extracts the footnote text and places it at the end of the document without a reference number. On the other hand, Nisus Writer Pro includes the full LibreOffice-based importers, which do import footnotes/endnotes as proper reference/text pairs that appear inline inside the full text body.
carolynd

Post by carolynd »

OK--thanks.