InfoClick Indexing ...

Talk about InfoClick, our email search tool.
zcademy

InfoClick Indexing ...

Post by zcademy »

We need an InfoClick section.

I downloaded the trial version, and am wondering if there's a way to pause the analysis process.

I have close to 250k messages (been on gmail for a loooong time), and my Macbook overheats during the analysis. I'd love to be able to run the procedure in chunks, but short of quitting the software, I can't.

Suggestions?

Liz
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: InfoClick Indexing ...

Post by martin »

Hi Liz,

I'm sorry you've had trouble getting the initial indexing to complete. It's definitely an intensive process to go through 250K emails and gather the necessary information.

When you say that your MacBook is overheating, do you just mean that it gets hot? Or do you mean that it shuts itself off, OSX crashes, or worse? If it's the latter, it sounds like a hardware problem. Any time your Mac has hard work to do, and the CPU is used intensively, the temperature will rise, but OSX should automatically throttle the speed of your CPU to prevent shutoff or other undesirable events (eg: bursting into flame).

You might try to give your Mac better ventilation, eg: elevate the back of the laptop so air flows underneath, place it in a cool room, etc. But really it shouldn't be catastrophically overheating– if that's what's happening you might contact Apple about it.

There are some Apple-provided developer tools you can use to temporarily limit a computer's hardware (eg: disable some CPU cores), but these aren't really meant for controlling performance and heat– it's more for testing.

PS: thanks for the suggestion about creating an InfoClick forum. We'll look into adding that.
zcademy

Post by zcademy »

Martin --

Thanks for getting back to me.

I use iStat Pro to monitor my processor and temperatures ... it was showing a lot of intense work, high temps, and high fan speeds. No shutdowns, no flames. And I'm in the cold Northeast USA, so the heat was welcome.

Eventually I halted the process, as I had to do some image processing for work. But I'll start it up again soon.

--Liz
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

All is clear now. Well, I'm very glad you don't have a real hardware problem, and the computer is just getting hot. You might leave InfoClick on overnight to do the initial indexing while you're sleeping, so it doesn't interfere with your normal work. The extra heat could help make it a cozy night :P

I'll file a request that we allow the user to pause the initial indexing, instead of needing to cancel and restart outright.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

The last couple of times I tried to find an e-mail with InfoClick, I knew the e-mail was there, but couldn't seem to get the parameters right for IC to find it. Same thing today. So I decided to "Database > Rebuild Database". In retrospect, I should have selected "Database > Scan For New Emails". But I guess it won't hurt anything … says it has 60 hours to go!

Is there a way to make IC default so it automatically looks for new e-mails every time it opens?
Attachments
InfoClick 60 hours 23 minutes left.png
InfoClick 60 hours 23 minutes left.png (21.8 KiB) Viewed 13628 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NisusUser wrote:says it has 60 hours to go!
It could take significantly less time. The estimate is pessimistic, and honestly can have some wild swings.
Is there a way to make IC default so it automatically looks for new e-mails every time it opens?
There's no preference for that, but if you leave InfoClick running in the background, it will scan for new emails periodically, eg: every few hours. That will prevent the need to ever manually rebuild the database or scan for new emails. There is an option in InfoClick's preference to launch it automatically when you log into your Mac, which can help with that.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

martin wrote: if you leave InfoClick running in the background, it will scan for new emails periodically, eg: every few hours. That will prevent the need to ever manually rebuild the database or scan for new emails. There is an option in InfoClick's preference to launch it automatically when you log into your Mac, which can help with that.
Thanks, Martin, that's an idea. I deliberately have not left it running just because leaving too many apps running on my 2011 MBP with SL eats a lot of memory.