Viewing Coding So I can Remove Formatting Manually

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
mibtp

Viewing Coding So I can Remove Formatting Manually

Post by mibtp »

Hi, I used Nisus Writer Express to write a book. I have it formatting the way I want (or so it looks). I upload to Amazon, view and all of a sudden everything is BOLD.

I have gone though and unhighlighted Bold, yet it is still there.

How can I look at all the coding of a document so I can manually remove formatting that I don't want? Simply highlighting and unchecking doesn't work, neither does "remove attributes." Also tried loading as a different view.

Is there a way to see all the coding of a document?

Thanks.
Patrice
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Viewing Coding So I can Remove Formatting Manually

Post by martin »

Hello Patrice,

Although there might be ways to see the coding of a document, it's perhaps the wrong tree to bark up for this problem.

When you prepare your document to upload to Amazon, what are you doing exactly? I suspect there's a file conversion bug somewhere, so the exact chain would be useful to know. For example, I might guess that you're using Nisus Writer Express to save as HTML, and then maybe using some kind of amazon conversion tool? Let us know. It would also be helpful to have an example document that exhibits the unwanted bolding.

Without knowing the answers to those questions, it might be premature to suggest workarounds, but let me try:

1. You might save your document from Nisus Writer using another file format. For example, you might try RTF, HTML, or PDF.
2. You could download the demo of Nisus Writer Pro, which can export files as EPUB, which amazon also accepts. Amazon provide free EPUB to Kindle conversion tools.

I hope that helps. Please let us know how you get along.
mibtp

Post by mibtp »

Thank you for getting back to me. I actually tried several formats.

- I would first create ebook with correct margins, add a few images, save as a .doc file.
- Then i would upload via Amazon where they convert the file.
- You can then view the file as if from a kindle, iphone, ipad, etc.
- This is where I would discover the formatting issues, the bold in places it should be, etc.

I also tried uploading as html file and still had same issues, especially where the image was added.
The image shows but so does the file name. Strange.

Any other advice you can give would be appreciated. If I use pro on trail basis, will there be some
watermark added to my file?

Thanks.
patrice
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Patrick,

I can't answer the other questions you raise, but if you use Pro in demo mode to create the ePub, yes, anything you "print" will have a watermark letting everyone know that you used our great word processor.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Hello, Patrice.

I think, it might be useful to post the offending documents, both the original rtf and the resulting epub, on this forum. So everyone can check them. Of course, you can garble the text using NW’s Redact macro, or change it manually. Also I could try to convert the document, or a snippet thereof, to epub to see if I can reproduce the behavior.

Greetings, Henry.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

As Henry says, if you could post (or privately send) an example document that shows this unwanted bolding, that would really be the best so we could try to see the problem first hand.