Multiple Searches in one selection

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Matze

Multiple Searches in one selection

Post by Matze »

Hello there nise people,

it would be nice, if I could search in one selection for different things one after another WITHOUT having to select the stuff again after each search.
Is this possible with a macro or in a future NWPRO version?

Best regards Matze
phspaelti

Re: Multiple Searches in one selection

Post by phspaelti »

Hello Matze
it certainly is possible to write macros that save and restore selections. But before going there, have you tried using the "Previous Selection" command. Does that not do what you want?
philip
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

As far as I know, if you select some text and search “In Selection”, the engine will find all occurrences within the selection without any need to select again.

For example, try to select a portion of text, then activate Find/Replace. Click on “In Selection” from the “Where” pop-up menu. Enter some text in the “Find What” field. Click on “Find Next”. The search will run within the selection only.

Henry.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Philip, I never was aware of this command.
It does what I need, even if I have to switch from f/r-window to the document, choose the command and go back.
(In times of Mac OS X NWpro isn't the one and only program I use as NW was in Classic-times and I am far from mastering NWpro.)

Best, Matze
Matze

Post by Matze »

Groucho wrote:As far as I know, if you select some text and search “In Selection”, the engine will find all occurrences within the selection without any need to select again.

For example, try to select a portion of text, then activate Find/Replace. Click on “In Selection” from the “Where” pop-up menu. Enter some text in the “Find What” field. Click on “Find Next”. The search will run within the selection only.

Henry.
Groucho, I know this. I want to find different stuff in one selection. First "this" than "that". The "previous-selection" command does it.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

You could also use PowerFind (or Pro) to search for both things at once, if you happen to know them both up front, eg:
screen.png
screen.png (13.82 KiB) Viewed 7152 times
The "Or" bubble can be inserted by using the gear icon button's popup menu in the "Match" submenu.